turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shervd

Are vehicle personal property taxes deductible in Virginia?

I live in Virginia and receive an annual personal property tax bill for my vehicle based on its value (about $900 per year).  However, on the TurboTax list, it states that these fees are not deductible in Virginia.  Why are these not deductible expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You may be confusing vehicle registration fees and property taxes. Vehicle registration fees are not deductible in Virginia on your federal tax return but personal property taxes based on the value of the vehicle should be.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

You may be confusing vehicle registration fees and property taxes. Vehicle registration fees are not deductible in Virginia on your federal tax return but personal property taxes based on the value of the vehicle should be.

shervd

Thanks for your response.  I understand the difference between reg and PPT but Turbotax makes it confusing because there is no section to enter personal property taxes on vehicles, only for planes and boats.  In the vehicle registration section it says "enter the deductible portion of your vehicle registration fees".... Is this were I enter the personal property tax fee on my car? Another confusing factor is that in the Turbotax help section, my state (VA) is not listed as one that charges taxes based on vehicle value.  Which is absolutely not true! Thanks again.

Even though TurboTax does not include vehicles in the list of personal property deductions, entering it there puts it on line 7 of Schedule A which is where it should be. So I would go ahead and enter it as a personal property tax deduction.

Regarding deductibility of the vehicle registration fee, according to information on dmv.org/va, the Virginia registration fee is based on the vehicle weight, the type of plate, and the length of time you choose to register the vehicle. For the fee to be deductible on the federal tax return, it must be based on the value of the vehicle.
shervd

Thank you
kballvt

I live in Montgomery County, Virginia. I called the County Treasurer. They told me that personal property taxes on vehicles are assessed by value, and that they use NADA tables. My tax bill from the county lists 4 different "Assessed Values" for my 4 vehicles. They match the NADA tables. The amount due is different as well. The assessed value goes down every year. The weight of my vehicles does not. There is even a high mileage allowance that decreases the assessed value. Clearly property taxes (at least in Montgomery County) are based on vehicle value, and should be deductible in federal tax returns. TurboTax is wrong. TaxSlayer seems to allow this deduction.

The distinction in the answer above is between vehicle registration fees and personal property taxes. TurboTax only addresses vehicle registration fees not personal property taxes for vehicles.
kballvt

Yes, but if you enter personal property tax for vehicles, TurboTax only uses for State deduction and not federal. It specifically says to enter vehicle taxes under "Car Registration Fees" if based on value. But, if you do that and are a Virginia filer, it denies the entry on Sch A. TurboTax does not handle this properly.

I see what you are saying and agree that TurboTax does not handle it properly. Even though TurboTax says not to, I would enter the taxes under the heading Personal Property Taxes in the Cars and Other Things You Own section. This will enter it on Schedule A.
DCinDC

I'm looking at my vehicle paperwork right now. At the top, the large heading text reads:

City of Alexandria, Virginia

2022 Personal Property Tax Bill

Due October 5, 2022

I also found this associated with Loudoun County, Virginia: "Virginia is a personal property tax state where owners of vehicles and leased vehicles are subject to an annual tax based on the value of the vehicle on January 1." 

I don't know why TurboTax never seems to acknowledge that we Virginians do, in fact, pay personal property taxes on our vehicles. Every single year I have to enter the taxes paid on my family's vehicles in the "boats and planes" section for deductibles. Why can't TurboTax fix this? I'm sure they hear from at least a few Virginians regarding this anomaly ever year. 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

You are entering it in the correct sections since it is a 'personal property tax' and not a vehicle registration fee.  

The TurboTax help content does recognize that Virginia imposes a personal property tax and directs users to enter it in the personal property tax section.  

No matter which section is used to enter the taxes paid, it is all reported in the same section of Schedule A Itemized Deductions.

@DCinDC 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies