Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bekkaw1
Returning Member

Taxes

I have a child that was born in 2020 and I never recieved the full stimulus for him. Why is that? Also I filed both of my child and my taxes did not meet the full child tax credit. Why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
mfields2
Employee Tax Expert

Taxes

If your child was born in 2020, you should have received any stimulus funds on your 2020 tax return (it is called the "Recovery Rebate Credit").  Look through your tax forms and see if you have at least $1,100 (the amount of the first two stimulus payments per child) on line 30 of your Form 1040, which is on the second page of the 1040.

For 2020, the child tax credit was not fully refundable.  So if you made less than $2,500, you would not have received the refundable part of the child tax credit ($1,400 per child).  If you had no taxable income, the $600 tax credit per child would not offset any tax owed (before refundable credits were applied), and so you would not receive the full benefit of the child tax credit.  

The other reason you may not have received the stimulus or child tax credit is if your income exceeded the maximum amounts to be eligible - generally, $200,000 (single) and $400,000 (married filing joint) for the child tax credit, and sliding scales for the stimulus payments with lower threshold amounts (but if you made less than $150,000 for married filing joint and $75,000 for single filers, you should be receiving the stimulus payments).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies