turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Withholding Discrepancies?

My spouse (Married Filing Separately) has two (and only two) 2019 1099-R’s with the following total taxes withheld:

FEDERAL: $8,081 (sum of federal taxes withheld)

STATE: $2,651 (sum of state taxes withheld)

On her Form 1040-SR (Line 17) the federal taxes withheld are listed as $10,260

On her 540 (Line 5a) the state taxes withheld are listed as $3,829

Whereas, the tax withholding amounts from MY one 1099-R form agree exactly with what is reported on my 1040 and 540 Turbotax forms.

Q1. What accounts for the $2,179 ($10,260 - $8,081) difference between her 1099-R Federal withholdings and the amount TurboTax is reporting on her 1040?

Q2. Likewise, what accounts for the $1,178 ($3,829 - $2,651) difference between her 1099-R State withholdings and the amount TurboTax is reporting on her 540?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Those extra amounts would almost have to be coming from some other form entry...either in error, or something you forgot about.

Another thing you can do...IF you are using the desktop software

Open her tax return, and Switch to Forms Mode

Look for and open the Federal "Tax Payments" worksheet

Then look at each of lines 10-19 on tha worksheet for what forms the various totals came from.  You might find some other form type entered that slipped your mind

The Online software users can kind-of do the same thing, but they have to save a PDF copy of their current tax file, suing the Print Center..with ALL forms and calcification worksheets, in order to find the Tax Payments worksheet in that PDF.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

3 Replies
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

We cannot see your return on this forum. However, you are correct that the withholding amounts reported on your 1040 should match what is on your tax documents. It is possible you have additional entries on your return. You may want to clear and start over.

You do have the option Clear and Start Over your return. To choose this option:

1. Click Tax Tools
  2. Click Clear & Start Over
  3. Confirm

While this will require you to redo the return in its entirety, it will also delete any and all forms and entries associated with the return.

Clear & Start Over

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Those extra amounts would almost have to be coming from some other form entry...either in error, or something you forgot about.

Another thing you can do...IF you are using the desktop software

Open her tax return, and Switch to Forms Mode

Look for and open the Federal "Tax Payments" worksheet

Then look at each of lines 10-19 on tha worksheet for what forms the various totals came from.  You might find some other form type entered that slipped your mind

The Online software users can kind-of do the same thing, but they have to save a PDF copy of their current tax file, suing the Print Center..with ALL forms and calcification worksheets, in order to find the Tax Payments worksheet in that PDF.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thankfully, I read both responses and didn't just follow the first one that appeared as a summary in my email. I had entered her Federal and State withholding amounts on line 12, as well as on line 18a. Your answer saved me a lot of re-entry (but on the down side, payments went up). Thanks for your answer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies