turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Extenders of 2019

Since there were tax extenders retroactively extended through 2019, for example mortgage insurance premium, when would turbotax make the changes to facilitate the amendments of my tax returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Tax Extenders of 2019

Do not expect the amendment program to be updated for a couple of months due to not only to the logistics but the fact they also need to update the current 2019 program Which has priority right now. 

leppard63
Returning Member

Tax Extenders of 2019

Are these Tax Extenders added to 2019 yet, specifically the mortgage insurance deduction?

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Tax Extenders of 2019

Yes. You can enter mortgage insurance premiums with your 1098 information. They are input in box 5.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SvenH
Returning Member

Tax Extenders of 2019

Are you talking specifically about TurboTax for Tax year 2019? 

I would like to know when it will be updated for Tax Year 2018, so I can file an amended return. I should clarify that I am specifically curious about the deduction for Mortgage Insurance and when it will be available. I check the 2018 software for updates every few days and nada so far. 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Tax Extenders of 2019

I have looked in my 2018 Turbo Tax Software and the update is there. Go to:

1. Federal Taxes>deductions and credits>choose what you work on.
  2. Your home>mortgage interest, refinancing and insurance>start
  3. next screen will ask did you pay any home loans say yes
  4. Next screen will ask who is your mortgage lender>continue at the next screen
  5. Now you should reach a screen that says let's get the details of your loan In box 5 of this screen is where you put in your mortgage insurance premiums.

Note if you already have mortgage information listed with a 1098T, you can edit it and scroll through the screens until you get to the page that says let's get the details of your loan.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SvenH
Returning Member

Tax Extenders of 2019

@DaveF1006 Thank you for taking the time to look and answer my question. However, I am aware that the area to fill in the data within the software is there. That has been there since I installed the program in 2018.

The problem is that it was (and seems to be now) just a placeholder for when the actual tax forms are updated within the software to utilise this data, which seems to have not happened yet. Looking at my tax forms I believe this data should be accounted for on form Schedule A box 8d, which says "reserved" on the copy of my 2018 filing. 

When I start an amended return through the 2018 program not only does my total deductions not change in amount when I enter the PMI data, but that same box 8d on the form still shows "reserved" leading me to believe this still has not updated. 

Beyond the generic "two or three months" a random user specified I was hoping that someone at Intuit could give us a more precise timeline for when this would be updated as they claim to "have us covered with the latest tax laws" in their advertising. 

Tax Extenders of 2019

@SvenH The IRS has yet to update the 2018 Schedule A and the 2018 Schedule A instructions for the PMI deduction which would be located on the 2018 Schedule A Line 8d.

IRS Schedule A (2018) - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f1040sa--2018.pdf

IRS Schedule A Instructions (2018) - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1040sca--2018.pdf

Until the IRS updates the 2018 form and instructions, TurboTax cannot provide the 2018 schedule and instructions in the 2018 software, either for filing an original 2018 tax return or amending a 2018 tax return.

Tax Extenders of 2019

@DoninGA IRS has updated Schedule A since Jan 16 so again, it falls on turbotax to update their tax software. 

Tax Extenders of 2019

@sirob721 wrote:

@DoninGA IRS has updated Schedule A since Jan 16 so again, it falls on turbotax to update their tax software. 

The question refers to tax year 2018 Schedule A, not 2019 Schedule A which was updated to reflect the tax extenders and the TurboTax 2019 Schedule A has also been updated accordingly.

The IRS has NOT updated the 2018 Schedule A as shown in the link provided.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies