Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Tax deductions on Tuition fees for H1B visa holder

I am originally from India and am working in the US on a H1B visa (work visa). My brother came to the US for his graduate degree and is on a student visa (F1). I am supporting his tuition and living expenses. My parents do not claim him as a dependent on his income tax returns. My brother is making less than $2000 annually from his part time job. He does not live with me.

Will I be able to claim him as a dependent? Will I be able to get any tax advantages on the tuition fee that I am paying?

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

Tax deductions on Tuition fees for H1B visa holder

Yes, you can claim your brother as your Dependent and claim the Education Expenses you paid out-of-pocket for him.


Since he is related to you, he does not have to live with you, as long as you provide over half of his support.


The 4 tests that will qualify your brother as a dependent are listed in the following link for your review: Who Can I Claim As a Dependent?







**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"