turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sold 2nd home thru bank to son for amount owed $68K. I paid $82K for it. Assessed now $98K. When I file 2019 turbotax do I pay additional taxes and how is it filed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Sold 2nd home thru bank to son for amount owed $68K. I paid $82K for it. Assessed now $98K. When I file 2019 turbotax do I pay additional taxes and how is it filed?

it appears as if you sold a second home, that was used for personal purposes, to your son for less than the fair market value of the property and also less than your basis.

Losses on personal use property are not deductible. You will report the transaction on your federal income tax return as a sale in which you received $68k in proceeds for property with an $82k basis. You cannot deduct this loss. 

Further, if the property had a fair market value (FMV) of $98k on the date of the sale to your son, you effectively made a gift of the difference between the $98k FMV and the $68k sales price. Consequently, you will have to file a gift tax return (Form 709 - see below) since the FMV exceeds the sales price by more than $15k, the annual exclusion amount.

See https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/frequently-asked-questions-on-gift-tax...

Hal_Al
Level 15

"Gift Tax" is somewhat of a misnomer.  Even though a gift tax return is required, very few people ever actually pay federal gift tax. The purpose of the gift tax return is usually only to document a reduction in the allowable estate tax exemption.
See https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Planning-and-Checklists/The-Gift-Tax-Made-Simple/...

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies