turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Snow plow credit

So I work for an oil delivery company. Part of my job responsibilities is taking home my oil truck in the winter time and summer for on call time, and keeping it in my driveway. Well I live in Maine and it snows in the winter. I plow my own driveway, I’m wondering if I can write off my Snow plow maintenance costs since I need a clean driveway to get the truck out of. Just to be clear I don’t use this for a commercial purpose, just for my own driveway.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Snow plow credit

Even if this was a legitimate work-related expense, if you are a W-2 employee, work-related expenses are not tax deductible after the tax reform of 2018. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Snow plow credit

The costs of commuting to and from work are never deductible.  Why do you think you should be able to deduct the cost of plowing just because you parked your work truck in your driveway?  Do you think all your neighbors who drive cars to work  can deduct the cost of plowing their driveways to go to work?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Snow plow credit

Even if this was a legitimate work-related expense, if you are a W-2 employee, work-related expenses are not tax deductible after the tax reform of 2018. 

Snow plow credit

Oh okay, thank you that was helpful. On my maine state return i’m able to deduct work boots for unreimbursed deduction, I wasn’t sure since my home is one of our depots, because of federal motor carrier guidelines says there needs to be an address associated with the start and end points of daily operations for a truck. It’s my home purely for the convenience of my employer, due to parking shortage

Snow plow credit

@Derikmcled wrote:

Oh okay, thank you that was helpful. On my maine state return i’m able to deduct work boots for unreimbursed deduction, I wasn’t sure since my home is one of our depots, because of federal motor carrier guidelines says there needs to be an address associated with the start and end points of daily operations for a truck. It’s my home purely for the convenience of my employer, due to parking shortage

Some states allow work-related deductions under the old federal rules, although the 2% limit usually means most people that list such costs don't actually benefit. 

The problem with plowing your own home is that you get a personal benefit as well as a business benefit, and that makes it more complicated.  If you qualified for a home office deduction, then you can deduct the same percentage of plowing costs as your business use percentage.  (For example, if your home is 15% business based on the square footage, you can deduct 15% of plowing as a business expense.)  If you don't qualify for a home office deduction, then I don't see an argument to deduct anything, since you would have to plow to get to work regardless of whether you were driving a company vehicle or a personal vehicle.  Perhaps there is some interaction between tax rules and motor carrier rules that would change that, but if so, I am not aware of it. 

On top of that, any deduction would only be your actual cost, you can't deduct anything for the value of your time.  Using your personal truck for plowing, you could use the actual expense method (which is based on your work mileage as a percentage of the total) or the standard mileage rate.  But I don't imagine that plowing your own driveway amounts to very many miles.  So even if the plowing costs were fully deductible, it might be 50 cents a day or less.  

Carl
Level 15

Snow plow credit

W-2 work related expenses are no longer deductible on your federal return since the 2018 tax year. However, they "may" be deductible on your state return if (and only if) your state allows that.

But in your case, maintenance of personal real estate property that you own, using equipment that you also own does not generate a deduction on any tax return. Clearing your driveway is more of a personal benefit, than it is a professional need by far, and you'd be hard pressed to prove to the state otherwise.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies