turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Since they passed a new bill for the earned income credit and I already filed my taxes for this year would I be able to qualify for the earned income credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Since they passed a new bill for the earned income credit and I already filed my taxes for this year would I be able to qualify for the earned income credit?

It would be hard to know without seeing the details on your tax return.  Are you aware that the Consolidated Appropriations Act (CAA) was signed into law on December 27, 2020 as a stimulus measure to provide relief to those affected by the pandemic?  For tax year 2020, the CAA allows taxpayers to use either their 2020 or 2019 earned income in calculating the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) as well as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).

If you have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return and the tax return is accepted by the IRS, you will have to amend your 2020 Federal tax return and correct the entries and calculations to receive the Earned Income Tax Credit.

If you have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return and the tax return is rejected by the IRS, you will have to amend your 2020 Federal tax return and correct the entries and calculations to receive the Earned Income Tax Credit as well as correct the entries that generated the rejection.

To qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit, you must have earned income.  The IRS defines earned income as: 

• Taxable income you earned as an employee, such as wages, salaries, commissions, and tips,
  • Profits from operating your business or farm,
  • Long-term disability pay if received before the minimum retirement age,
  • Union strike benefits. 

Here are all of the requirements to qualify for the Earned Income Credit: 

• Have earned income; and
  • Have been a U.S. citizen or resident alien for the entire tax year; and
  • Have a valid Social Security number (not an ITIN) for yourself, your spouse (if filing jointly), and any qualifying children on your return; and
  • Not have investment income exceeding $3,650; and
  • Not be filing a Form 2555 or 2555-EZ; and
  • File a return with the Single, Married Filing Jointly, Head of Household, or Qualifying Widower filing status, even if you're not required to file a return. 

In addition, both your earned income and Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) may not exceed: 

• $15,820 if you're not claiming a qualifying child ($21,710 if filing jointly);
  • $41,756 if you're claiming 1 qualifying child ($47,646 if filing jointly);
  • $47,440 if you're claiming 2 qualifying children ($53,330 if filing jointly);
  • $50,954 if you're claiming 3+ qualifying children ($56,844 if filing jointly). 

The tests for a qualifying child are:

• Relationship: Must be your child, adopted child, foster child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (grand or nephew).
  • Residence: Must have the same residence for more than half the year.
  • Age: Must be under age 19 or under 24 and a full-time student for at least 5 months. They can be any age if they are totally and permanently disabled.
  • Support: Must not have provided more than half of their own support during the year.
  • Joint Support: The child cannot file a joint return for the year.

One more thing — if you are not claiming a qualifying child

• You (or your jointly filing spouse) must have been born on or after January 1, 1956; and
  • You (or your jointly filing spouse) must have been born on or before December 31, 1995; and
  • You (and your jointly filing spouse) cannot be claimed as a qualifying child or dependent on anyone else's return.

TurboTax software will ask you simple questions and give you the tax deductions and credits you are eligible for based upon your answers.

See also this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

will I be able to amend my taxes on turbotax if I'm accepted with IRS?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, if you need to amend, you can do that using TurboTax - but not until your original return gets processed.   Amending your return means filing a new form, 1040X. This is only required in certain situations.   In other situations, you can change your original return and you should not file a new form.

Don't amend if:

• You received a government notice that doesn't specifically tell you to amend (e.g. math error corrections, request for additional forms, etc.). Just follow the instructions in the notification.
  • You entered the wrong bank account to get your refund.
  • You received Forms 1095-B or 1095-C and the info matches what you reported on your return.

On the other hand, you will need to amend if you already mailed your return (or the government accepted your e-file) and:

• Your 2017 return was affected by the deductions or credits that were extended per The Bipartisan Budget Act of 2018.
  • You need to report a tax form you forgot about or received post-filing (most commonly a W-2, 1099, or 1095-A).
  • You received a corrected tax form after filing (the "corrected" box is checked) and the new info changes your refund or tax due amount.
  • You forgot to report income or claim dependents, deductions, or credits.
  • You accidentally claimed dependents, deductions, or credits you're not eligible for.
  • You made an error that affects your bottom line, such as reporting income or deductions in 2020 that should've been claimed in a prior tax year (in that case, you'll need to amend all affected tax years).
  • You need to change your filing status (for example, you want to change from Single to Head of Household).
  • We instructed you to amend because of a program error (uncommon).

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies