Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I make capital gain election to allow use of investment interest?

Should capital gains / qualified dividends be elected to be treated as investment income in order for investment interest can be deducted in the current year rather than carried over?  This question popped up during TurboTax asking me if I wanted to make this election. Tax bracket is 22% with capital gains at 15%.  I assume it is better to carry over the investment interest and deduct against future investment income rather than use up 15% tax income . . . assuming I can generate taxable investment income in the future.  Is my thinking correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I think you are missing the advantage ... if you claim some 15% income at the higher 22% bracket you can then deduct the same amount on the Sch A so the effective tax rate becomes 0%.   Review the return both ways and see which you prefer then make your choice. 

You can peek at only  the Federal form 1040 and the summary of the state info by going here:

1) lower- Left side of the screen...click to the left side of the "Tax Tools" text selection.
2)  then select "Tools"
3) then select "View Tax Summary" from the pop-up
4) then back to the left-side and "Preview 1040"

Then hit the "Back" on the left side to get back to your tax entries.

To view your entire return using the online editions (including the state) before you file, you will need to pay for your online account.

To pay the TurboTax online account fees by credit card, without completing the 2018 return at this time, click on Tax Tools >>> Tools  and then Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  On the next page, to pay by credit card, click Continue.  On the next screen it will ask if you want Audit Defense, if you do not want this option just click on the Continue button.  The next screen will ask for all your credit card information so you can pay for the account.

Just one opinion, but I would say this is a judgment call and only you know whether you have, or can, generate investment income.

Also, the tax year is two-thirds over at this point so you should have a pretty good handle on 2019. Baed upon your facts, I would personally take it this tax year.

Anonymous
Not applicable

it's a personal decision.  tax laws change. (with recent law changes it was better for some taxpayers not to itemize)        how long to use up the carryforward.  next year or 10 years?   (ie money has time value)         

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I use a with and without scenario, my tax savings for each $1 of qualified div / cap gain converted to investment income ranges from a low of composite 7% for small dollar conversion and composite 12% for high dollar (full amount) conversion . . . in return for eliminating some or all of my carryforward of investment interest expense by offsetting it against qual div / cap gain.

Again ... it is a personal choice to make ... there is no set rule on this subject. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies