Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sex addiction treatment expenses deductibility

Are inpatient sex addiction and depression treatment expenses deductible for tax purposes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

if they are, then it would be a medical deduction.

only the medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your income are deductible and you must 'itemize' and not take the standard deduction for it to make a difference 

Expenses must exceed 10% for 2019. Deducting inpatient expenses for these types of behavioral problems is disfavored by the IRS.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

I'd refer you to IRS Publication 502 (linked below) to determine for yourself whether you wish to include this type of treatment as a qualified medical expense.  The publication DOES approve "psychiatric care" as a qualified medical expense deduction.  So if you're admitted for depression, as you mention in your question, you may be able to use these expenses.  The sexual addiction part is what isn't clear in the publication.  Additionally, as noted in the answer provided by @NCperson and @halpalms, you'll be allowed to deduct only the qualified medical expenses that EXCEED 10% of your 2019 AGI.  AND you'll need to itemize your deductions on Schedule A, as well.  So your expenses would need to be substantial in order for this deduction to prove beneficial.  Here's the link to that publication.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies