Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Selling/exchanging stock -- calculator says $0 gains

Help - I'm trying to figure out the tax or income repercussions if I sell a non-retirement stock mutual fund.  I've been investing in this fund since 1995.  I have two questions.

1. I want to switch my money from a stock fund to a bond fund via an exchange. When I calculated my gain or loss using their calculator, with a first in, first out cost basis method, it returns $0 short or long term gain. Is this right?  Does this mean I will not be reporting any income from this sale?  Note--when I use another cost basis method, it does give me a short and a long term gain. 

2. If I cash out and if the calculator is right--$0 short or long term gain, does that mean I received no income, therefore it will have no effect on my income for my filing my taxes?  or is this sale or $$s reported in another area or line item on my tax form. 

Thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I would urge you to check out any gain or loss with your financial institution since a zero result seems unusual for an investment held that length of time. The calculation can be complicated due to reinvested distributions.  To your  question, however, if you truly had no gain the sale would be reported on Sch D but there would be no tax liability. 

forget about the calculator for a moment. your total gain should be total sales price less total cost. that total gain should be the same as the total for the long and short-term portions. it's unlikely to be zero. 

Thank you for the assurance and tax schedule. ...going back the long would definitely be complicated. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies