turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction

Does the limitation on not taking the deduction if one is covered by a subsidized plan apply only to deducting premiums for the subsidized plan, or to deducting premiums for any health insurance coverage. I am covered by a retiree plan (subsidized) from my former employer. That plan is basically a Medicare supplement plan, which requires me to pay premiums to the government for Medicare B and D. May I deduct the Medicare premiums (but not the retiree insurance premiums) from my self-employment income?

Also, am I correct that one may deduct premiums from a qualified Long Term Care policy, so long as that insurance is not subsidized?

Thanks, Gil Smith

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, for the Self-Employed Health Insurance deduction, you can deduct any expenses you paid that were not subsidized, including the Long Term Care insurance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Gil- That is correct- the Medicare B&D premiums can be deducted as Self-Employed Health Insurance.  The supplement premiums paid through your prior employer cannot be deducted.

@hgs087

View solution in original post

13 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, for the Self-Employed Health Insurance deduction, you can deduct any expenses you paid that were not subsidized, including the Long Term Care insurance.

Hi MaryK,

Just to be sure -- am I correct that I can also deduct Medicare parts B & D premiums (which are not subsidized), but cannot deduct the Medicare supplement premiums (which are subsidized).

Thanks,

-Gil Smith

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Gil- That is correct- the Medicare B&D premiums can be deducted as Self-Employed Health Insurance.  The supplement premiums paid through your prior employer cannot be deducted.

@hgs087

Judy Born

Where do I deduct them on the forms

KrisD15
Employee Tax Expert

It is an option included on the self-employment (Schedule C) expenses list.

Enter it there as an expense. 

Dave_E

My wife and I are retired but are self-employed in property management partnership LLC.  We each have Medicare and private health insurance.  We also have long term care policies.  We take no salary from  the LLC other than  the profits/losses.  Are we eligible to take the Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction?  If so. how do we enter the information in TurboTax?

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

You are able to deduct the Self-employed Health Insurance deduction if you have a profit.  Enter your insurance expense in the self-employed business expense section of TurboTax Self-Employed:  

How do you get the deduction entered on the 1040?  I keep getting directed to the line 16 of the 1040 worksheet but the system does not let me enter the premium, override the amount or direct me to another location.  This is from an LLC so can not enter on the Schedule C.

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

As it turns out, you enter this in the K-1(1120) interview.

Do a Search (upper right) for k-1 and click on the jump-to link (Mac users must find K-1 in the Topics List).

Then choose the S corporations, and start the K-1 (1120) interview. 8 or so screens in, you will see a screen that is titled, "Other Situations". Check the box that says, "I personally paid health insurance and/or long term care insurance premiums for myself and my family, and the S corporation paid me wages."

When you hit Continue, the next screen will ask you for the amount of the premiums paid.

@MaryK4 wrote:

@MaryK4 I think that sounds reasonable, but unfortunately https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/home-ownership/deducting-health-insurance-premiums-if-youre-sel... seems to say otherwise:

You can only claim the health insurance premiums write-off for months when neither you nor your spouse were eligible to participate in an employer-subsidized health plan.

So I think that would apply to only medical premiums, not all of the other mentioned types of premiums (like dental and long-term care) if those others are not subsidized and offered to the taxpayer? Is the TurboTax tip page incorrect about that?

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

"So I think that would apply to only medical premiums, not all of the other mentioned types of premiums (like dental and long-term care) if those others are not subsidized and offered to the taxpayer?"

Yes, you are correct to wonder. The Help page is referring only to like premiums, such as for general health coverage. It does not refer to additional coverage that is (1) deductible on Schedule A as a medical expense, and (2) for which there is no corresponding employer-based coverage. 

"You can only claim the health insurance premiums write-off for months when neither you nor your spouse were eligible to participate in an employer-subsidized health plan."

The phrase "health insurance premiums " refers to whatever is in the employer-subsidized plan, and not all possible coverage.

I am a greater than 2% shareholder of S corp.  I am told I need to add my health insurance premiums onto Schedule 1 line 16 for adjustments to income but my Turbo Tax deluxe will not let me do that.  Do I need to upgrade to some other level?

MarilynG1
Employee Tax Expert

@Kevlor2862 You will need to upgrade to enter a K-1. 

Click this link for instructions for How to Claim Health Insurance for S Corp Shareholder

Manage cookies