Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sale of my home

I have expenses that I had to pay to sell the house.  Such as new flooring, paint etc... Where does that go?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

sale of my home

Improvement to the home before the sale are added to the basis of the home.  Improvements increase the value of the home or extends the life of the home.  New flooring would be an improvement.  Painting is not an improvement but is classified as maintenance, so is not added to the basis.

View solution in original post

26 Replies

sale of my home

Improvement to the home before the sale are added to the basis of the home.  Improvements increase the value of the home or extends the life of the home.  New flooring would be an improvement.  Painting is not an improvement but is classified as maintenance, so is not added to the basis.

sale of my home

HOW TO I LIST ALL IMPROVEMENTS TO HOME WHEN SELLING IT ?

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

sale of my home

TurboTax will guide you through reporting this. 

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. Search for home sale.
  3. Select the Jump to link in the search results.
  4. Answer Yes to Did you sell or have your home foreclosed in 2019? on the Sale of Your Main Home screen.
  5. Follow the instructions to enter your info. When it's time to adjust your basis by adding improvements, you can total your improvements and just add the total when it is requested. Please keep notes on how you reached this total in the event that your return is ever selected for exam. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
aspaeth1

sale of my home

What version of Turbotax is recommended if you've sold a home and may have capital gains taxes on that?  Is Premier required or does Deluxe have what's needed?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

sale of my home

The sale of home would be reported on Schedule D. If you are using TurboTax online you need TurboTax Premier or higher version. Schedule D is also included in all the CD/Download versions of TurboTax.

sale of my home

Turbo Tax guided my through the Sale of Home section and at the end of that section it stated I did not need to report the sale because I had a $10.000 loss.  So I did not report it.  Now I have a demand letter from the IRS for nearly $300,000 in taxes for unreported income from sale of a house.  This was sale of my primary home and I used the money to purchase a new home.  Why did the Turbo Tax program put me in this situation?

sale of my home

@Woozer Dog wrote:

Turbo Tax guided my through the Sale of Home section and at the end of that section it stated I did not need to report the sale because I had a $10.000 loss.  So I did not report it.  Now I have a demand letter from the IRS for nearly $300,000 in taxes for unreported income from sale of a house.  This was sale of my primary home and I used the money to purchase a new home.  Why did the Turbo Tax program put me in this situation?

Apparently the IRS received a Form 1099-S reporting the sale of your home.  Sent by the closing attorney or the title company.  You should have also received a copy of the Form 1099-S.

When a 1099-S is received the sale has to be reported on a tax return, gain or loss.

You will need to amend your tax return to report the sale.  There will be a Schedule D and a Form 8989 that must be included with amended tax return, Form 1040-X.

In the TurboTax program for reporting the Home Sale, depending on the tax year, the program has a link to explain if you should report the sale or has a selection for receiving a Form 1099-S.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return (2019, 2018, 2017) - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

Make sure that you indicate that you want the sale of the home reported on your tax return. 

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income
  • On Sale of Home (gain or loss), click the start or update button

Or enter sale of home in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to sale of home

sale of my home

The error was yours ... you failed to read this screen and check the 1099-S box so the sale was NOT reported on the sch D ... to fix this is easy ... use the amendment program and return to the screen and simply mark this box ... this will populate the Sch D & form 8949 & a worksheet  that you can send to the IRS to respond to the notice.

1099-s-2018.PNG

MiketheVike
Returning Member

sale of my home

There is no option in Turbo Tax Home & Business 2020 to adjust the basis of the home you are selling.  I don't know how Turbo Tax calculates without input from me but I am looking at capital gains in excess of the $500K exemption because I have lived in the house for 23 years.

If there is a way to adjust this it is very well hidden... No useful info on this forum on how to find the back door to this!

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

sale of my home

@MiketheVike Click this link for instructions on How to Enter a Home Sale.

You will come to a screen to enter your Cost Basis (screenshot).

sale of my home

Hi,

I need help figuring out what taxes I owe for the earnings I made on the sale of my house. I have proof of renovations for this year but can't find the records of previous years. Am i allowed to estimate the cost in order to deduct those costs from the taxes I owe or must I have all of the receipts? also If I sold my house on August 26, 2021was I to pay estimated taxes September 15? Or how long do I have for  my first payment after selling a house.  Which Turbo Tax should I buy for 2021 taxes? 

Thank you.

Sincerely,

carol jones

sale of my home

@carolsuejones 

if you are audited, the IRS does not have to award you any adjustments to your cost basis that you can’t prove. If you want to include prior renovation costs that you don’t have receipts for, you will be at risk if audited.  It’s up to you how much risk you want to take.  Most taxpayer’s are never audited. (But this is a good lesson that you should save all the paperwork related to your house for at least as long as you’re on the house +3 years after you sell.)

If using TurboTax online, to include the sale of your home you must use the Premier version or higher. If you buy TurboTax to install on your own computer from a CD or download, you can use Deluxe and it will include all the necessary forms, however, the Premier version will have more built-in guidance.

sale of my home

you provided no information so whether estimated taxes should have been paid is unknown.

there are no underpayment of estimated tax penalties for 2021 if:

1) withholding and timely estimated tax payments are at least 90% of your 2021 tax or

2) you owe less than $1,000 after subtracting your withholding taxes (but not estimated tax payments) from 90% of your 2021 tax or

3) withholding and timely estimated tax payments are 100% of your 2020 tax (110% if your 2020 adjusted gross income was more than $150,000) 

if you owned and lived in the house for 2 or more years in the last 5 years before sale $250,000 of gain is tax-exempt ($500,000 if you are married on the date of sale and your spouse also lived in the house for 2 years in the last 5). this assumes the house was never a rental while you (or your spouse, if married) owned it.   even if the 2-year tests are not met you may be entitled to a partial exclusion if the reason for selling is a change of job location (certain criteria have to be met), or for specific health reasons other than your general health or well-being (for yourself or almost any member of your family living with you) and finally unforeseen circumstances - 

(e)(1) In general. A sale or exchange is by reason of unforeseen circumstances if the primary reason for the sale or exchange is the occurrence of an event that the taxpayer could not reasonably have anticipated before purchasing and occupying the residence. A sale or exchange by reason of unforeseen circumstances (other than a sale or exchange deemed to be by reason of unforeseen circumstances under paragraph (e)(2) or (3) of this section) does not qualify for the reduced maximum exclusion if the primary reason for the sale or exchange is a preference for a different residence or an improvement in financial circumstances.

(e)(2) Specific event safe harbors. A sale or exchange is deemed to be by reason of unforeseen circumstances (within the meaning of paragraph (e)(1) of this section) if any of the events specified in paragraphs (e)(2)(i) through (iii) of this section occur during the period of the taxpayer's ownership and use of the residence as the taxpayer's principal residence:

(i) The involuntary conversion of the residence.

(ii) Natural or man-made disasters or acts of war or terrorism resulting in a casualty to the residence (without regard to deductibility under section 165(h)).

(iii) In the case of a qualified individual described in paragraph (f) of this section -

(A) Death;

(B) The cessation of employment as a result of which the qualified individual is eligible for unemployment compensation (as defined in section 85(b));

(C) A change in employment or self-employment status that results in the taxpayer's inability to pay housing costs and reasonable basic living expenses for the taxpayer's household (including amounts for food, clothing, medical expenses, taxes, transportation, court-ordered payments, and expenses reasonably necessary to the production of income, but not for the maintenance of an affluent or luxurious standard of living);

(D) Divorce or legal separation under a decree of divorce or separate maintenance; or

(E) Multiple births resulting from the same pregnancy.

(3) Designation of additional events as unforeseen circumstances. The Commissioner may designate other events or situations as unforeseen circumstances in published guidance of general applicability and may issue rulings addressed to specific taxpayers identifying other events or situations as unforeseen circumstances with regard to those taxpayers (see § 601.601(d)(2) of this chapter).

sale of my home

Dear Turbo Tax,

I believe I understand that married couples who have lived in their house for two of the last five years and are still married at the at the time of the sale of their house get a $500,000 deduction from the sale of the house.

I lived with my husband in our house for 44 years. My husband died in 2019 which means that he lived in our house for two of the last five years . Am I entitled to get a $500,000 deduction ? and if not, why do I get penalized for my husbands death? We needed to move by September 21, 2021 which means we would have  had to sell the house anyway.

We moved into our house in 1974 and I sold it on August 26, 2021. We bought the house in 1974 for $60,000 and sold it for $740,000. I made a large profit.....i spent $85,000 on renovations (i had to borrow this money); i owed $130,000 for my home equity loan; I had to pay $30,000 back taxes to Arlington county , VA.

All in all i ended up with $440,000. I wrote in my last email that I have receipts for this years renovations. When my husband died i could not find receipts for renovations from the last 44.  If I might get audited what  fines am I liable for?  I sold my house on August 26, 2021 ....when do I need to start paying taxes to the IRS? I paid Arlington County taxes for the sale of my house..do I need to pay taxes to the state of Virginia as well?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my MANY question. I am very, very  grateful.

Kind regards,

carol jones

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies