Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Return of Downpayment

I made a $12,000 down payment for a chairlift that was never installed. I eventually sued the business and won a judgement of  $100,000 plus attorney fees. If I ever receive payment, will the $12,000 return of my down payment be taxable to me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Return of Downpayment

Damages representing your actual losses are not taxable.  I can't imagine how you got $100,000 from a $12,000 down payment, but if you don't have other losses (damage to your home for incomplete work, for example) then the remaining portion will be taxable.  And unfortunately, you can't deduct your attorney fees.  So if, for example, you actually receive $50,000 net (half the judgement) after attorneys and fees, you will still have to report and pay taxes on $88,000.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Return of Downpayment

No ... it is just a return of your own money.  

Return of Downpayment

Damages representing your actual losses are not taxable.  I can't imagine how you got $100,000 from a $12,000 down payment, but if you don't have other losses (damage to your home for incomplete work, for example) then the remaining portion will be taxable.  And unfortunately, you can't deduct your attorney fees.  So if, for example, you actually receive $50,000 net (half the judgement) after attorneys and fees, you will still have to report and pay taxes on $88,000.  

Return of Downpayment

Thank you for such a complete answer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies