turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Refiling as an independent an the second stimulus

So I've lived with my grandpa for a few years. Just enough to get through junior and senior year of high school, and work the following year after graduation. I've been moved out since late mid June. For the years I lived there I was filed as a dependent and on my taxes filed myself as a dependent, meaning with my age range I received no stimulus. With the second stimulus coming up, how would I go about refiling as an independent as I no longer live there?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You can’t legally refile.  For 2019, if you lived with your grandparents the whole year, you are their dependent.  You must check the box that says you can be claimed as a dependent, even if you don’t want to be claimed.   Filing an amended return to say you were not a dependent for 2019 will automatically trigger an investigation.  

For 2020, you might be able to legally not check the box, if you lived independently for more than half they year and you earn more than $4200.  The stimulus payment will be recalculated on your 2020 tax return and if you are eligible, it will be added to your refund at that time.  

The rules for a second stimulus (if passed—it has not passed yet) seem to be similar except your grandparents will be entitled to an extra $500 for you they didn’t get in the first stimulus.  If the rules end up being the same, it would also be added to your refund on your 2020 taxes.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You can’t legally refile.  For 2019, if you lived with your grandparents the whole year, you are their dependent.  You must check the box that says you can be claimed as a dependent, even if you don’t want to be claimed.   Filing an amended return to say you were not a dependent for 2019 will automatically trigger an investigation.  

For 2020, you might be able to legally not check the box, if you lived independently for more than half they year and you earn more than $4200.  The stimulus payment will be recalculated on your 2020 tax return and if you are eligible, it will be added to your refund at that time.  

The rules for a second stimulus (if passed—it has not passed yet) seem to be similar except your grandparents will be entitled to an extra $500 for you they didn’t get in the first stimulus.  If the rules end up being the same, it would also be added to your refund on your 2020 taxes.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies