Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Real Estate taxes

Greetings. I recently bought a new home and paid property taxes for 2019 in April of this year.  Since they were for 2019, can I deduct them on my 2019 return? Or do I have to wait until next year to claim them? Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Real Estate taxes

You paid the tax in 2020?  It goes on your 2020 tax return next year. When you enter property tax as a deduction, what matters is the year you PAID the tax, not what year they were "for."

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Real Estate taxes

You paid the tax in 2020?  It goes on your 2020 tax return next year. When you enter property tax as a deduction, what matters is the year you PAID the tax, not what year they were "for."

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Real Estate taxes

You will have to wait until next year when you file your 2020 income tax return since property taxes are deductible in the year in which they are actually paid.

See https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc503

Anonymous
Not applicable

Real Estate taxes

You deduct them in the year paid.   FYI - if you have an escrow a/c the payments you make into it are not deductible.  only in the year when money is taken out to pay the taxes do yo get a deduction.

also realize that if you bought your home in 2019, there might be a credit on it for the 2019 taxes for the period you did not own it.  this credit must be subtracted from your payment.  

Real Estate taxes

That's what I figured.  Thanks everyone.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies