turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Property tax for home

Why the software does not let me enter the amount paid this year

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Property tax for home

IF...if you are using the "Desktop" software ?

.....and if you see a "$0" in a field that doesn't seem to allow you to change it.

THEN

...double-click on the field...there is likely a "Supporting Details" worksheet attached to that field....and you need to make your entry on the worksheet   (or delete the SuppDet worksheet entirely to get full access to the interview field again)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Property tax for home

IF...if you are using the "Desktop" software ?

.....and if you see a "$0" in a field that doesn't seem to allow you to change it.

THEN

...double-click on the field...there is likely a "Supporting Details" worksheet attached to that field....and you need to make your entry on the worksheet   (or delete the SuppDet worksheet entirely to get full access to the interview field again)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Carl
Level 15

Property tax for home

does not let me enter the amount paid this year

By "this year" I assume you mean to say you paid it in 2020. Anything paid in 2021 is just flat out not deductible or even reportable on your 2020 return.

Property tax for home

Thank you very much.  It helped...!

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Property tax for home

The program allows two ways to enter property tax, but there is a specific order that to do this.

1. The first is to enter it directly under property; however, you must do this before you post the 1098 for your mortgage.
  2. If you have a 1098 for your mortgage you can enter your property tax at the bottom of the input screen.  This will be posted to your summary page as Property Taxes.  (After this is posted the "Property Tax" inputs will be limited to Additional and foreign taxes.)
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Property tax for home

@JohnB5677    Huh?  disagree...There is no such specific order for that entry in the software. 

But, Yes, there is a proper place to enter the Property Taxes, depending on your individual situation:

1) IF you have a mortgage, and your property taxes are paid from escrow by your mortgage holder, then you ONLY enter them with all the other information on the 1098, and as shown on your form 1098, as you enter that form in the software at "Mortgage Interest , Refinancing , and Insurance"  (desktop wording)      [[or  Online software calls it "Mortgage Interest and Refinancing (Form 1098)" ]] ....  the amount you enter here with the Mortgage 1098 will show up on the menu Summary page at the "Property Taxes"  line on that menu page.

2)  However, if you pay the property taxes yourself (either you no longer have a Mortgage...or the Mortgage company doesn't pay them for you) ..... then you enter them at the Property Taxes"  (Desktop wording ). menu selection.....  [[or Online wording: the " Property (Real Estate) Taxes"  line]]

However, this person didn't appear to be having an issue with that at all....it sounds like it was really a "$0" Supporting Details sheet that was blocking the entry in the first place....that thousands of other Desktop users have to contend with every year....

freddiefrog22
Returning Member

Property tax for home

I need to speak with someone who can walk me through on how to input my property tax.  Double clicking on the field did not work.

freddiefrog22
Returning Member

Property tax for home

Double clicking on the field did not work.

freddiefrog22
Returning Member

Property tax for home

If there a phone number to call for help?

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Property tax for home

Take a look at the following TurboTax article for information about where to enter your property tax.  There are steps for entering it on its own, when it is reported as part of your mortgage interest statement, and when it pertains to a rental property.  

Where do I enter my real estate (property) taxes in TurboTax Online?

If you still need help after checking over those instructions, see the following TurboTax article for information about how to contact us for further assistance:

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@freddiefrog22

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies