turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mila1628
Returning Member

Other dependent Tax Credit

Does my son qualifies for Other dependent Tax Credit if he is 22 years old, full time student, US citizen, made $9029 in 2019, claimed as dependent (live with parents for the entire year), paid $6695 for education, gets most support form parents?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Yes.  You can claim your 22 year old full time student as your qualifying child dependent and you can get the $500 credit for other dependents and use the education credits on your own tax return.  He can file a return himself to seek a refund of tax withheld, but must say on his own return that he can be claimed as someone else's dependent.

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2019 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

They are related to you.

They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or   Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

• They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).

• No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children

They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

They lived with you the entire year.

• They made less than $4200  (not counting Social Security)

• You provided more than half of their financial support. More info

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

Related Information:

Does a dependent have to live with me?

What does "financially support another person" mean?

Can I claim a newborn baby?

CREDIT FOR OTHER DEPENDENTS

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4499708-what-is-the-500-credit-for-other-dependents-family-tax-cre...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
mila1628
Returning Member

Did I understand this correctly: I can claim him as my dependent and get all those deductions including other dependent tax credit , education expenses but also he can file his own taxes to get withheld taxes back?

Also I have another question: my husband did not work last year (he was lookin after his 82-years old mother) . What should we enter for Emloyer ID (EIN), Employer's sate and Zip? Something like NONE or NA?

If your spouse did not work, then you do not enter anything for his income; you do not fill out a non-existent W-2.  You can still file a joint return even if only one spouse had income.  

Yes, your dependent son can file his own return to get a tax refund of federal and state tax withheld.  Make sure he understands that he must say on his own return that he can be claimed as someone else's dependent.  He may get a refund of the amounts in boxes 2 and 17 of his W-2.

A dependent cannot get education credits, so the education credits go on your tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you were legally married at the end of 2019 your filing choices are married filing jointly or married filing separately.

Married Filing Jointly is usually better, even if one spouse had little or no income. When you file a joint return, you and your spouse will get the married filing jointly standard deduction of $24,400 (+$1300 for each spouse 65 or older)  You are eligible for more credits including education credits, earned income credit, child and dependent care credit, and a larger income limit to receive the child tax credit.

If you choose to file married filing separately, both spouses have to file the same way—either you both itemize or you both use standard deduction. Your tax rate will be higher than on a joint return. Some of the special rules for filing separately include: you cannot get earned income credit, education credits, adoption credits, or deductions for student loan interest. A higher percent of your Social Security benefits may be taxable. Your limit for SALT (state and local taxes and sales tax) will be only $5000 per spouse. In many cases you will not be able to take the child and dependent care credit. The amount you can contribute to a retirement account will be affected. If you live in a community property state, you will be required to provide additional information regarding your spouse’s income. ( Community property states:  AZ, CA, ID, LA, NV, NM, TX, WA, WI)

If  you are using online TurboTax to prepare your returns, you will need to prepare two separate returns and pay twice.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-married-filing-jointly-vs-married-filing-separately

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901162-married-filing-separately-in-community-property-states

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-is-it-better-for-a-married-couple-to-file-jointly-or-separ...

mila1628
Returning Member

Thank you!!!!!

mila1628
Returning Member

When I run Smart Check , Turbo Tax gives me message that Emloyer ID, State and Zip should be entered. Should I just ignore those entry checks in my case that my husband did not work?

If your spouse did not work then you should not be entering anything under his name for a W-2.  Nothing.  Delete whatever you entered for a W-2 for him.  

mila1628
Returning Member

My husband did not work last year and does not have W-2 form but when I try to submit E-file my Federal taxes - it is asking to enter Employer zip and Employer State. If I click on Continue and skip these steps - TurboTax would not let me submit my taxes and goes back to entering Employer zip and state. What should I do?

mila1628
Returning Member

I deleted that form and problem solved!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies