turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I verify that the law for reimbursement of mortgage insurance was approved? (It wasn't when i filed)

I filed through the paid desktop application for Turbo Tax. I was told I would get an email once this law was approved (if it was). I'm concerned I may have missed the email and just want to verify.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can I verify that the law for reimbursement of mortgage insurance was approved? (It wasn't when i filed)

No, you have not missed the update.

A new bill to reinstate this deduction was just filled again on Friday, March 1. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies

No, you have not missed the update.

A new bill to reinstate this deduction was just filled again on Friday, March 1. 

Thank you!!

We will let you know when/if the law changes.
nikkiek

When will turbotax be updtated? As of March 10th I still see the popup message that it is under review?

Has this law changed or been approved yet? It's getting closer to April and I'm really hoping it gets approved. Thanks!

No, the law has not changed and Congress is not in session this week. I hope your wish is granted

Just curious, was this ever passed or denied? 

Thanks!

Chelsea

@chelsealadair This thread is old.  When the user forum changed from Answer Xchange to Real Money Talk in mid-2019, some old threads migrated over and ended up with June 2019 dates on them even though they were from much longer ago.  You have not missed out on deducting private mortgage insurance for a 2018 return.  PMI was not deductible for your 2018 tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Ah ok. So they denied the bill/law? 

The deduction for PMI was not renewed for 2018 returns.  If you owned a home in 2018 the deductions you could enter were mortgage interest, property tax paid, and loan origination fees.  And even with those entries, it was less likely that your itemized deductions would exceed the new increased standard deduction for 2018 and beyond.  Look at line 8 of your 2018 return to see if you ended up using standard deduction or itemized deductions.

2018 Standard Deductions:

Single   $12,000  (+ $1600 65 or older)

Married Filing Separately    $12,000  (+ $1300 65 or older)

Married Filing Jointly  $24,000  (+ $1300 each spouse 65 or older)

Head of Household  $18,000  (+ $1600 65 or older)

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies