turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mysterious entry on Foreign Tax Credit worksheet, line 3b

I paid some foreign taxes on dividends from an investment account.  I went through the Foreign Tax Credit flow and had a few problems.  

First, in the interview steps, despite entering 3 different countries, it seemed like the app would only ever let me enter details for one country.  I ended up choosing "Various" in the interview so that I could at least get the total value dividend income and taxes paid entered.  This all seemed to flow into the Foreign Tax Credit Computation Worksheet, oddly into column B (both A and C were empty).  Regardless, I manually fixed the entries on that worksheet to have all 3 countries, in columns A, B, and C.  So that all seems fine.  

The second problem, which I don't see how to fix, is that there's a number being entered on Part I, line 3b, (1) for "Remaining dedns from gross income" of $25.  I don't have any clue where that number is coming from and it's causing an error saying that I have to enter a detailed explanation.  I don't know what that would be since I have no idea where this number came from.  

Where does the Part 1, line 3b information come from on the Foreign Tax Credit worksheet?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Bring up the f1116 comp. wks.  Put the pointer in the Total column next to 3b(1) and right click. On the box that appears, click on "data source." Another box will appear displaying the source for the entry.

That's just it, there's no context menu for that cell.  Right clicking does nothing here.  

Regardless, oddly, after having closed and reopened the whole tax return, that $25 value is now gone.  Sure seems like this form has a few different bugs in it...

lgwedmonds
Returning Member

I'm also having problems with schedule 3. in particular part 1 line 1 foreign tax credit.  the numbers in this wks do not agree with the numbers in the 1116 wks. previous years these number were the same.  in my case the amount is insignificant to worry about. but let's get it right.

secondly the instructions for part 1 line 7 (totals of 1 thru 6) are to be included in 1040 wks 13b.  this appears to be related to child care, didn't we just cover that in part 1 line 2?  are getting a double dose?

I am having the exact same problem!!! But closing and reopening doesn't get rid of the number, and I can't manually delete it. Help?

To be clear, I'm having the same problem as pmarcos, not the other problem that was brought up by someone else.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies