turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife uses her personal vehicle for work to check on her clients at group homes. Can she write off the mileage?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

My wife uses her personal vehicle for work to check on her clients at group homes. Can she write off the mileage?

So, are you asking if your wife can file using a persona or are you just making a statement.

To be able to file a tax return you must possess a Taxpayer Identification Number.  A tax identification number (TIN) is a unique nine-digit number that identifies you to the IRS. It's required on your tax return and requested in other IRS interactions. Social Security numbers are the most popular tax ID numbers, but four other kinds are popular too: the ITIN, EIN, ATIN and PTIN.

The persona and the Taxpayer Identification Number must match to file a tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Sorry, for some reason it cut off the majority of the question

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Assuming she is an employee and not self-employed, No. 

If you are a W2 employee, unreimbursed job expenses are no longer deductible.  See Deductions that have been suspended for 2018 - 2025.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-reform/help/which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-b...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies