turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife and I are both real estate agents. We both have expenses in the business, but only one 1099, they run everything thru me. How do I handle deducting her expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

My wife and I are both real estate agents. We both have expenses in the business, but only one 1099, they run everything thru me. How do I handle deducting her expenses?

The first thing that needs to happen is that they issue her her own 1099-Misc.

Are you a Qualified Joint Venture? QJV If so, follow the instructions in the IRS bulletin. This also applies to having her as your employee.

If you each have your own separate Schedule C businesses, then you will need to issue her a 1099-Misc from your business to hers to report her income.

If none of this applies and your wife is unofficially helping you out, then none of her expenses are deductible.

Anonymous
Not applicable

can you explain why they issue just one 1099?     this is totally wrong unless she is working for you.    in that case you would need to file quarterly payroll tax returns for her compensation and pay in the payroll taxes as required.    such returns would already be late and the penalties for late filing and paying of payroll taxes are substantial.    as an employee her expenses would not be deductible.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies