turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My dependent turned 13 on Dec 1,2020 how do i claim child care for her?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

You can claim child care expenses incurred for her from January 1 to November 30, 2020.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It doesn't give you that option when your in tgat section i need to know how,where

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

You can enter expenses incurred for the period of time your child was under 13 according to this IRS link. in fact, I created a mock return where i claimed a dependent who was born 12/01/2007. What you will need to do is determine what the expense is for 11 months and report it.

1. Log into Turbo Tax
  2. Go to federal>deductions and credits>you and your family>Child and Dependent Care Credit>start or revisit
  3. Answer the question for the first screen and then the second screen says whose care did you pay for. Here you select your 13 year old child. There is a note in that screen that says Be sure to enter Jill's care expenses only for the period of time when she was under 13, or disabled. This is because Turbo Tax recognized your child is turning 13 during the 2020 tax year.
  4. Go ahead and finish filling in the information that the program asks for. To figure out the calculation, multiply the child care expense you incurred for your 13 year child and multiply that amount by 11/12 or .9167. So if your expense was $1000, multiply that by .9167 and the amount of your expense is $916.70 or $918. Your credit will be based off of this amount.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
nzavala09
Returning Member

My child turned 13 on Dec 10 2021, but the IRS deducted a certain amount (about 3k). Claiming my child did not qualify for the Credit for child and dependent care expenses. She should have qualified, how can I protest the deduction to the IRS.

@nzavala09 wrote:

My child turned 13 on Dec 10 2021, but the IRS deducted a certain amount (about 3k). Claiming my child did not qualify for the Credit for child and dependent care expenses. She should have qualified, how can I protest the deduction to the IRS.

The child must be UNDER age 13 to qualify.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Carl
Level 15

From what I see in IRS Publication 503 at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p503.pdf, it states the child must be under the age of 13 when the care was provided. Other than that, there is no date specific provided like there is for the qualifying dependent child rules. So unless I missed something, claiming child care expenses should be possible if incurred prior to the child's 13th birthday in 2021, regardless of when that birthday occurred.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies