turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My corporation rents an office to me, for my side business, is this rent deductible on my Schedule C?

My corporation (I own majority) owns a building, in which I rent from as an individual, for my side business. Can I deduct this on my Schedule C?

Section 162 says if you have equity you cannot. I'm confused.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

My corporation rents an office to me, for my side business, is this rent deductible on my Schedule C?

You can deduct it on your Sch C  IF  the corporation  reports the rental income on it's return.    

@orlycpa wrote:

Section 162 says if you have equity you cannot. I'm confused.

You do not have equity in the building, the corporation does. If you had equity in the building individually, you would essentially be renting to yourself. 

Thank you so much! So does anything change if I am paying above market rent? 

Ah - gotcha. So even though I'm a majority shareholder in the corporation that I'm renting from? 

Yes, because the corporation is a separate entity for federal income tax, and other, purposes.

Careful about renting above FMV  as the IRS could consider this a tax avoidance scheme by moving income from the Sch C subject to SE taxes to a corporate return which may not.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies