turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 2018 State of Oregon tax form showed a $10,000.00 Itemized deduction but I use the standard deduction. How did this $10,000.00 get on my return? Now we owe $418.18!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

My 2018 State of Oregon tax form showed a $10,000.00 Itemized deduction but I use the standard deduction. How did this $10,000.00 get on my return? Now we owe $418.18!

we can't see your return, so you'll need to contact turbo tax support.  

We cannot see your tax returns.  But what was your filing status for OR?  Here is some information on the OR standard deduction amounts:

Deductions You can claim Oregon itemized deductions or the standard deduction, whichever is larger, but not both. Note: If you’re filing as married filing separately and one spouse itemizes, both spouses must use itemized deductions. If your spouse itemizes and you don’t, your standard deduction is -0-.

16 Itemized deductions. If you’re itemizing your deductions for Oregon enter the amount from Schedule OR-A, line 23. Note: Don’t enter your federal itemized deductions; the amount allowed for Oregon may be different. If you’re not itemizing, enter zero.

17 Standard deduction. Your standard deduction is based on your filing status:

Single $2,215

Married filing jointly $4,435

Married filing separately •

If spouse claims standard deduction $2,215

• If spouse claims itemized deductions -0-

Head of household $3,570 Qualifying widow(er) $4,435

Phone support is not provided with the Free Edition.  If you are using a paid version of the software or if you purchased PLUS you can get phone support when customer support is there.  Otherwise, post your question here and someone will try to help.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

They are available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific timeMonday - Friday

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Jenmay20

this same situation happened to me! something fishy!?

You probably experienced this Oregon software error (you should have gotten an email alerting you to this issue so you could fix it timely)   so you should be able to get the penalties and interest refunded if Oregon assessed any:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/oregon-schedule-or-a-amend-instructions/01/27588

Carl
Level 15

My 2018 State of Oregon tax form showed a $10,000.00 Itemized deduction but I use the standard deduction.

You used the standard deduction on your *FEDERAL* tax return, because the FEDERAL standard deduction is $12,000 ($24,000 if filing joint).  No question that the standard deduction is better for you on the "FEDERAL" return.

For your *STATE* tax return, Oregon's standard deduction is $7000 for the "HIGHEST" qualifier. Therefore on your STATE return it's more beneficial for you to itemize your deductions, since there is no question they "do" exceed the state's standard deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies