Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

oddvision
Returning Member

Mortgage Tax Deduction for Refi

I bought my house in 2013, and in 2016 I refinanced and took cash out to pay off debt. Do I report the full amount shown on the mortgage interest statement from my lender, or do I take cash out/ refi amount and apply that percentage to the interest? So if it was a $175,000 mortgage and I refinanced for $200,000, would I take 87.50% times the mortgage interest I paid in 2019 to report on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

When you enter the 1098, the program will ask if the loan was ever a HELC and if so, how much cash was taken out. 

The program can make the calculation with that information. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
oddvision
Returning Member

It wasn't a HELC ever... Just a straight cash-out refi so we got a wire into our bank when the new mortgage closed, which we used to pay off debt. So do I need to calculate that percentage based on how much cash we took out when we refinanced?

BarbaraW22
Expert Alumni

No, you do not need to calculate the percentage of your mortgage interest that is deductible. As KrisD15 said above, TurboTax will calculate this for you based on your answers to the questions. Please follow these steps:

1. Enter the full amount of your mortgage interest and the other information as it is reported on your Form 1098
  2. When you get to the question "Is this loan a home equity line of credit or a loan you've ever refinanced," click on Yes
  3. Click on "Yes" to the question "Have you ever pulled cash out from this loan when refinancing it?"
  4. Then click on "No" to the question "Have you used the money from this loan exclusively on this home?"
  5. Click on  "Help me figure this out" to the question "Let's see how much interest you can deduct this year" and carefully answer the remaining questions

Please refer to this TurboTax Article for more information.

@oddvision

Where do I submit the refi info?

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

You enter your refi information in the Home mortgage section under Deductions & Credits.

Follow the instructions above to provide the necessary details of your loan. 

If you are having trouble finding the Home mortgage section, use the search box in the upper right corner to search for "1098", then click Go to 1098.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies