turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mortgage interest on paid loans

Where do you enter mortgage interest for home loans paid off in 2020? I cannot enter a 0 for "Outstanding mortgage principal". But we don't owe any more on the loan.  I didn't receive a 1098 this year, apparently since the mortgage interest was less than $600, but did receive a note from the bank with the amount of the mortgage interest paid in 2020.  However, as noted above, if I try to enter this information in the Mortgage Interest section, it requires I enter something above "0" for Outstanding mortgage principal.

Thank you for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Enter "$1" as the Mortgage Loan balance amount. This will not have any effect on your tax calculation and will not generate an error in either TurboTax or with the IRS.

From an economic perspective, it is accurate - you owed virtually nothing on this mortgage at the end of 2020. 

There are many places in TurboTax where you must make a non-zero entry, primarily to let the program know that you answered the question and that the answer makes some sense.  

In this case, entering "$1" tells the program that you didn't forget to answer the question and that you had at least some amount of a mortgage loan balance to justify claiming an interest deduction. 

Thank you Todd!  that's what I had done...entered $1 but wasn't sure if there was another way.  I appreciate your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies