turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mortgage interest for 2020 was $9746 but 1040 shows only $6168 as deduction, why not full amount? refinanced in 2020 and also mortgage was sold to another lender

not sure why 1040 in turbotax is deducting only 6168 instead of 9746
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Mortgage interest for 2020 was $9746 but 1040 shows only $6168 as deduction, why not full amount? refinanced in 2020 and also mortgage was sold to another lender

did you do a cash-out refi?  it would result in a limit on the interest deduction unless the mortgage was taken out before 12/15/17 then there would not be a limitation unless the refi was for more than $1 million.

Carl
Level 15

If you did a cash out refi in 2020, then only the percentage of interest equal to the percentage of the new loan used to pay off the old loan, is deductible on SCH A, for the life of the new loan.

No I didn't took cash out of refinance, but I read it somewhere that I should put $0 in box 2  outstanding mortgage principal for refinance and that is working but I am not sure if this is the right way of doing it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies