turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Legal and Court Fees to recover a Bad Debt

I had a loss of about $150,000 as Bad Debt and have included on my 2017 1040 Schedule C.
I am trying to recover this loss and have a civil case against my business partner.
Where can I deduct my Legal Fees, Court Fees, airline tickets (court appearances) on my 2018 Schecule C

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

then how did you have a business partner?     i'm not going to say the deduction on schedule c for 2017 was proper or improper,  that will be for the IRS to determine if it audits you.  those expenses would also follow the correct reporting of the bad debt.  if it is a schedule C deduction the legal fees would go on line 17 and you would need to create court costs on line 48 of schedule C which would carry to line 27a.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

some additional info,   if you had a business partner why a 2017 schedule C rather than a 1065 (partnership return)

@HACKITOFF
My small home business is a DBA not a partnership.

Anonymous
Not applicable

then how did you have a business partner?     i'm not going to say the deduction on schedule c for 2017 was proper or improper,  that will be for the IRS to determine if it audits you.  those expenses would also follow the correct reporting of the bad debt.  if it is a schedule C deduction the legal fees would go on line 17 and you would need to create court costs on line 48 of schedule C which would carry to line 27a.  

Thanks HackitOff.
That is what I thought, a line entry.  It just seems too easy.
Used the wrong term, business partner is actually a sole customer that I extend credit for purchases.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies