turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is it sufficient to file and send my federal return WITHOUT a W2 and no supporting forms with my 1040 (since I did not earn US income)? I earned foreign income only

no US income hence no W2, only US interest and earned income from foreign country. TurboTax only has my sending my standard 1040 form and Schedule B. Is this sufficient?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

Is it sufficient to file and send my federal return WITHOUT a W2 and no supporting forms with my 1040 (since I did not earn US income)? I earned foreign income only

IRS only requires specific documentation be mailed in with a tax return - in fact they do not want any additional paperwork. 

TurboTax prints out the required documentation.

One key requirement is any document with any tax withholding being claimed on the tax return.

In some cases Form 1099-B is required to be mailed in ii it was summarized on the tax return. 

If you have foreign income from a foreign source that you are reporting on Form 1040, there is no additional reporting or attachment required. 

As noted earlier any currency conversion or notes relevant to your return should be kept in the event the IRS should contact you in the future. 

They have 3 years from the due date of the return to make inquiry.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

When you e-file your return, you do not need to attach any supporting documents to your tax return unless the program tells you to do so.  However, you should prepare any substantiation to support your numbers on your tax return when IRS contacts you to request for the information in the future.  In your situation, I will suggest you to gather documents or paperwork that proves your foreign income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your recommendations @LinaJ2020 ,  I’ll gather documents for my records. However, TurboTax will not allow me to send electronically. I researched why, and one of the reasons is that I don’t have a W-2. Therefore, I have to send it through the mail. When I print my return through TurboTax, it only has me sending form 1040.  My main concern is whether this is sufficient if that’s all TurboTax has me printing? Thanks!!

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

IRS only requires specific documentation be mailed in with a tax return - in fact they do not want any additional paperwork. 

TurboTax prints out the required documentation.

One key requirement is any document with any tax withholding being claimed on the tax return.

In some cases Form 1099-B is required to be mailed in ii it was summarized on the tax return. 

If you have foreign income from a foreign source that you are reporting on Form 1040, there is no additional reporting or attachment required. 

As noted earlier any currency conversion or notes relevant to your return should be kept in the event the IRS should contact you in the future. 

They have 3 years from the due date of the return to make inquiry.

Thanks @JeffreyR77 !! This was perfect and reassuring.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies