turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRA deductions for seniors

Can an individual make a deductible contribution to an IRA  in the year they turned 70 and a half?  Can one be made to a spouses account?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For 2020 and later, there is no age limit on making regular contributions to traditional or Roth IRAs.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

For 2020 and later, there is no age limit on making regular contributions to traditional or Roth IRAs.

dmertz
Level 15

However, making deductible traditional IRA contributions in or after the year you reach age 70½ will limit your ability to make qualified charitable distributions (QCDs) from your traditional IRAs.

and you must have earned income in order to contribute to an IRA.

Thank you both for your advise.  I was not planning on making any charitable contributions from my IRA this year, and it appears that IRS Pub 590a has not been updated for the 2020 Tax Year.

dmertz
Level 15

The limitations regarding deductible traditional IRA contributions made in or after reaching age 70½ apply to all future years.  QCDs are taxable until all of these contributions have beendistributed as QCDs.  For example, if after over several years you've made $12,000 in deductible contributions in or after the year that you reached age 70½, your first $12,000 of QCDs are includible in income rather than being excludible.  TurboTax as not yet implemented this limitation on QCDs.

@hnrypalmer wrote:

Thank you both for your advise.  I was not planning on making any charitable contributions from my IRA this year, and it appears that IRS Pub 590a has not been updated for the 2020 Tax Year.

The 2020 590A is still in the draft state at the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/p590a--dft.pdf

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies