turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MarkSe

Insurance company contribution to HSA

My HDHP insurance plan passes $150/month into an HSA account set up for me.  Is this amount ($1800/yr) deductible in addition to the HSA deduction that I make on my payroll?  This amount is not reflected on my W-2.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

If your HDHP health insurance plan is provided by your employer, and your premiums are paid with pre-tax dollars, then you cannot deduct what the Insurance Company contributes to the HSA.  In order to take a tax deduction, you must have an expenditure paid with after tax dollars.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

dmertz
Level 15

The $1,800 passed through the insurance is not deductible on your tax return.  It was never included in the amount in box 1 of your W-2 because it was part of the health insurance premium that was deducted from your pay, so it has already been excluded from your taxable income.

As you proceed through the HSA section of TurboTax, TurboTax will ask you if your employer told you about any other contributions to your HSA.  Answer Yes, then enter $1,800 in the box labeled "Employer and payroll contributions not included on your W-2."  This will allow TurboTax to include the $1,800 on Form 8889 in determining whether or not you have exceeded the maximum permissible HSA contribution for 2020.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

If your HDHP health insurance plan is provided by your employer, and your premiums are paid with pre-tax dollars, then you cannot deduct what the Insurance Company contributes to the HSA.  In order to take a tax deduction, you must have an expenditure paid with after tax dollars.

dmertz
Level 15

The $1,800 passed through the insurance is not deductible on your tax return.  It was never included in the amount in box 1 of your W-2 because it was part of the health insurance premium that was deducted from your pay, so it has already been excluded from your taxable income.

As you proceed through the HSA section of TurboTax, TurboTax will ask you if your employer told you about any other contributions to your HSA.  Answer Yes, then enter $1,800 in the box labeled "Employer and payroll contributions not included on your W-2."  This will allow TurboTax to include the $1,800 on Form 8889 in determining whether or not you have exceeded the maximum permissible HSA contribution for 2020.

Similar question, except I am retired and get a 1099R.   My former employer subsidizes part of the cost of the health insurance, and I pay my portion of the premium with post-tax dollars.  The insurance company makes a monthly contribution to my HSA.  The premium I pay in post-tax dollars exceeds the contribution from the insurer to my HSA.   Even including the insurer's contribution, I am under the annual limit on HSA contributions.  Is the insurer's contribution to the HSA deductible by me?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It is deductible by you just as long as the contribution paid for by the Insurance Company is made with post-tax dollars. Just a note of caution, If you are over the age of 65, contributions are not allowed if you are on Medicare.

Thanks.  I'm aware that medicare enrollment by the policy holder prevents HSA contributions. 

Looking at your answer - about 3/4 of the total insurance premium is paid directly to the insurer by my former employer, and I pay 1/4 to the insurer.   My share exceeds the monthly insurance company HSA contribution, and I pay my share with post tax dollars.  The insurance plan brochure says "a portion of your monthly health plan premium is deposited to your HSA" and calls it a "premium pass through contribution."   I'm not aware of any way of actually tracking the source of  funds used to make the contribution.   Given that the former employer paid 3/4 of the premium, is that a sufficient basis to conclude that the insurer's HSA contribution is "made on my behalf" with post tax dollars, and therefore included on line 2 of the form 8889, and thus deductible by me?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies