turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Inconsistency with Other Income Taxes, State Taxes

Using the process, a window comparing Sales Tax and Income Tax indicates that it is preferable to take the state and local income tax deduction, approximately $6000, versus the estimated $1000 of state tax. That's all well, but when I return to the main Deductions & Credits section it shows Sales Tax of $3500. How do I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

When you look at Schedule A, it is not taking your state and local income tax deduction of $6,000 anyway? Note that the Deductions & Credits screen is only a summary and does not necessarily reflect what is on your tax return.

Note that the Sales Tax number on this screen reflects 2 years: 2018 and 2019 in different columns. Are you sure that you are looking at 2019?

Also note that the Sales Tax number also includes any large-ticket purchases which are added to the calculated sales tax based on your income. Did you have a large ticket purchase (like a car or boat) of about $2,500? "(T)he estimated $1000 of state tax" probably does not include the big ticket item.

But what is most important is what appears on Schedule A (or the Schedule A worksheet). What do you see?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When I click on the Forms icon I don't see Schedule A, Itemized Deductions in the listing. 

@goodglarp wrote:

When I click on the Forms icon I don't see Schedule A, Itemized Deductions in the listing. 

Then ;you do not have enough itemized deductions for a Schedule A to be necessary.

Click on Open Form at the top right of the Forms mode screen.  Type in Schedule A.  Click on the result to open the schedule.

It is a bit aggravating to go through the steps to provide all the information, but in the end, choosing the Standard Deduction is almost always the correct answer and it overrides much of the process. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies