turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cp2austin

If I have a like kind exchange, do I also have to file a business property sell & purchase in addition to completing the Form 8824?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If I have a like kind exchange, do I also have to file a business property sell & purchase in addition to completing the Form 8824?

When you sell the asset in the program and indicate this was a 1031 exchange the program will walk you thru all the steps needed ... follow the interview screens carefully.

Note that only real estate is eligible for like-kind (1031) exchange treatment due to tax reform (2018-2025).

The following TurboTax Help article provides information on where to enter the exchange in TurboTax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/where-do-i-enter-a-like-kind-exchange-form... 

Also note that, if you used TurboTax for the previous year (or years), you will have to remove assets (as disposed) in the Rentals and Royalties section of the program - and also probably enter the replacement property as a new asset.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies