Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I worked and lived abroad in 2019 (for 265 days) and earned around 13000 gross. I paid taxes there (NZ). When asked how much I earned do I put gross or after foreign tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

I worked and lived abroad in 2019 (for 265 days) and earned around 13000 gross. I paid taxes there (NZ). When asked how much I earned do I put gross or after foreign tax?

Put the gross amount that you earned in New Zealand, in U.S. dollar equivalent.  You will later enter the amount of taxes that you paid (in the same, USD equivalent) for credit for those taxes paid.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Put the gross amount that you earned in New Zealand, in U.S. dollar equivalent.  You will later enter the amount of taxes that you paid (in the same, USD equivalent) for credit for those taxes paid.  

Thank you, that helps!

However, on that section later on, I do not see the option of filling in taxes I paid abroad. Only federal/state/local which apply to the US. Where can I state the taxes I paid in order to get credit for them?

Thanks again,

Alici

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Follow these steps to enter the taxes that you paid to New Zealand on your income:

1. Click on Deductions & Credits in the center or across the top of the TurboTax menu.
  2. Click on Show more beside Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  3. Click Start (or Revisit) beside Foreign Tax Credit
  4. Follow the prompts here (note that this section doesn't allow you to enter the taxes paid until after the income is entered, and designated as foreign earned income - this is best done in the section Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion  under Less Common Income- just tell the program here "I know that I don't qualify for the exclusion" after you enter the income). 
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies