turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ccleik

I work for a home health agency. i use my honda for only work. i had over 40,000 miles and can not deduct anything? i also pay for all my gas and maintenance on the car?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I work for a home health agency. i use my honda for only work. i had over 40,000 miles and can not deduct anything? i also pay for all my gas and maintenance on the car?

Employee business expenses, including vehicle expenses, are not deductible on a federal tax return due to the tax code changes in effect for tax years 2018 thru 2025.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Even under the old rules, there was not much of a deduction for W-2 employees. You were allowed to deduct your mileage (53.5 cents for 2017) and other job expenses, subtracting what you were reimbursed. TurboTax completed form  2106, which  then carries to Misc itemized deductions on Schedule A. The problem with this is that you only get to deduct that portion of  your misc deductions that exceed 2% of your AGI. and then only if your total  itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction.  (2% rule explained: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2902781-what-is-the-2-rule)

In addition, "commuting" miles were not deductible.  The trip from your home to your first client and the trip home from the last client of the day were not deductible.  Only the in between trips were deductible. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies