turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I've been advised to deduct investment land property tax on Schedule A Line 6 but can't find a way to do that within Turbotax Deductions and Credits. How can I do this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I've been advised to deduct investment land property tax on Schedule A Line 6 but can't find a way to do that within Turbotax Deductions and Credits. How can I do this?

Line 6 of Schedule A is the wrong place.  It can only go on line 5b.

In TurboTax (TT), enter at:

Federal Taxes Tab (Personal for H&B version)

Deductions & Credits

-Scroll down to:

-Your Home

-Property taxes

In addition to your home, you can enter tax paid on other properties.   Property tax, unlike mortgage interest, is deductible on all property, not just your home.  But, it is only an itemized deduction.  

I believe that process places the taxes on Schedule A Line 5b, at which point they are subject to the $10,000 limit of line 5. The general consensus (though not unanimous) is that investment property taxes can be deducted on Schedule A Line 6, which is where I need to put these property taxes. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Sorry, I missed the  qualifier about line 6, in your question. 

The advice is wrong.  It goes on line 5b.  Real estate tax  is property tax is real estate  Line 5b does not say residence property tax or even only residential real estate.

The only way to avoid the $10,000 SALT cap is if the RE tax qualified to be deducted on Schedule C or Sch E.

I am not asking for tax advice, as I have been advised by multiple tax accountants that it is likely acceptable. I am asking how, within TurboTax, I can input information on Schedule A Line 6. You can read a summary here https://www.currentfederaltaxdevelopments.com/blog/2019/9/28/do-taxes-on-investment-real-estate-esca...

Hal_Al
Level 15

I see there is a separate line to enter foreign real estate tax paid, in TurboTax. You get there the same way as above.  But when I enter something, TT only deducts it from the other entries.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The following steps don't make sense, but they accomplish what you want.

- Under Deductions & Credits scroll all the way down to the last section, Other Deductions and Credits.

- Click the Start button for Other Deductible Expenses. The first screen asks "Did you pay any generation-skipping taxes?" Click Yes.

- On the next screen enter a description and amount for your investment property tax. Click Continue.

- On the next two screens click No.

This will put the description and amount that you entered on Schedule A line 6.

maglib
Level 11

comment deleted

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

I have the same issue as you with investment property taxes on undeveloped land.  For 2019 I was able to open the Schedule A and directly input the amount and description.  I've tried the same thing for 2020 and the amount is captured but the description does not show up on the final Schedule A.  I've tried the Generation Skipping trick described in the 4/22/2020 response to your question but my description gets converted to "Other taxes" on Schedule A.  Were you ever successful in finding a way to properly reflect an amount and description for line 6?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@tclivengood  When you look at Schedule A in forms mode it will say "Other taxes," but when you print the tax return line 6 will have the description that you entered.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies