turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

itak

I used Turbotax for 2018. I received a IRS that I was not eligible for the child credit and need to refund it. Why Turbotax did not catch that?

I filled my return with Turbotax for 2018. The child credit was added via turbotax from all inputed info. I received a IRS notice stating that I was not eligible for it and therefore need to refund the IRS + interest. Can you clarify why Turbotax told me I was eligible while the IRS took back that deduction? I used standard deduction for that tax year
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I used Turbotax for 2018. I received a IRS that I was not eligible for the child credit and need to refund it. Why Turbotax did not catch that?

We cannot see your tax return so we do not know what went wrong.  One possibility----did you and the "other" parent each claim the same child?  If you had a signed form 8332 with the other parent, the no -custodial parent was the one who could get the child tax credit, while the custodial parent could still get Head of Household filing status, earned income and childcare credit but NOT the child tax credit.

Print out your 2018 return and have it handy before you call for help.

I RECEIVED A LETTER FROM THE IRS/STATE

TurboTax does not receive any information from the IRS or your state after your return was filed, so no one at TurboTax knows about a letter you received from the IRS or the state.

(what the letters from the IRS mean)

I GOT A LETTER FROM THE IRS   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3605673-i-got-a-letter-or-notice-from-the-irs

I AM BEING AUDITED

If you purchased Audit Defense:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2924451-i-bought-max-or-audit-defense-and-now-i-m-being-audited

AUDIT SUPPORT

TurboTax has a special phone number for help with IRS/state tax letters, which will be easier than going through regular Customer Support.   At the page below, click on the blue button that says "Get Help from TurboTax Support".  Then it will ask you what tax year is your letter.  Then it will ask you what the letter concerns. Then it will show you the phone number during posted business hours.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
itak

No we did like we do every year, automated turbo tax and we are married, both employed with one tax return.

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Generally, a taxpayer will receive a $2,000 tax credit for each Qualifying child claimed as a dependent on their tax return, subject to certain income limitations.  To claim the Child Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit, the taxpayer (and spouse if filing jointly) must have a Social Security Number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) by the tax filing due date of the return (including extensions). Any child used to claim the credit must also have an SSN valid for employment issued by the due date of the return (including extensions).

The child must meet the following eight requirements to be considered a qualifying child for the Child Tax Credit: 

• Is the taxpayer’s son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, sibling, stepsibling, half-brother, half-sister, or a descendent of any of them (grandchild, niece, nephew, etc.)
  • Lived with the taxpayer for more than half of the year
  • Was under age 17 at the end of the year
  • Did not provide over half of his or her own support during the year
  • Is a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. resident alien (child tax credits are not allowed for nonresident alien children residing in Canada or Mexico even if they qualify as dependents)
  • Is younger than the taxpayer claiming the child
  • Does not file a joint tax return unless the return is filed to claim a refund and no tax liability would have existed had the child and spouse filed separately, and
  • Is claimed as a dependent of the taxpayer claiming the Child Tax Credit

TurboTax has a audit support site to help you with any IRS notices.  Additionally, if you purchased Max Benefits with your 2018 return, you would have audit and IRS notice protection from TaxAudit.com.  If you purchased Max Benefits, forward the notice to TaxAudit.com and they will work with you to get a solution.  Either way TurboTax is here to help you with your IRS Notices.

Click Here to get to the TurboTax Audit Support site to get the ball rolling on answering your IRS notice.

Another possibility is that your income was input wrong and, when corrected, was too high for the credit. Or maybe the child's Date of Birth was wrong.

Did the IRS change anything else on your return?

Agreed ... did the IRS change anything else on the return ?   Credits are affected by income changes and other credits.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies