turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I use standard ded but have mortgage interest and real estate taxes paid. For biz use of home, taxes are showing as a ded on the sch C but the mortgage interest, no. ??

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the mortgage interest isn't calculating for % of my home office on schedule C business use of home?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

I use standard ded but have mortgage interest and real estate taxes paid. For biz use of home, taxes are showing as a ded on the sch C but the mortgage interest, no. ??

Make sure you are not using the "simplified method" for home office deduction.  Then, check your answers in the Home Office section of your self-employment income. 

You can click the "magnifying glass Search" icon on the top row, enter "home office" in the search window and press return or enter, and then click on the "Jump to home office" link to check your entries in the Home Office section.

Note that your home office expenses (including property taxes and mortgage interest) show up as a lump sum on Line 30 of Schedule C.  Form 8829 will have the detail, including your real estate taxes and deductible mortgage interest.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dlueck17
Returning Member

How do I link Property taxes from Sch A to 8829?

If you use the standard deduction you won't use schedule A but you can still claim property taxes on Form 8829 , Expenses for Business Use of Your Home.

According to IRS instructions 

Taxpayers claiming the standard deduction.

If you claim the standard deduction, you will not include any mortgage interest, mortgage insurance premiums, or real estate taxes on lines 10 and 11; instead, you will claim the entire business use of the home portion of those expenses using lines 16 and 17.

Form 8829 is available.  In TurboTax Online, search for 8829 on the Federal tab, and Jump to Form 8829.

In TurboTax Desktop CD/Download, make sure that you have updated your software to the latest release.

Click on Online at the top of the desktop program screen.  Click on Check for Updates.

Go to Forms.  When in Forms mode click on Open Form at the top left of the screen.  Type in 8829.  Click on the result to open the form.

@Dlueck17

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies