turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Gianiboy

I sold a stock and realized a large profit. If I take all of the proceeds from the sale and purchase an annuity, will I owe federal taxes on the stock proceeds?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I sold a stock and realized a large profit. If I take all of the proceeds from the sale and purchase an annuity, will I owe federal taxes on the stock proceeds?

What you do with the proceeds will not negate the taxable gain on the stock sale.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

NO.      but there may be a way to defer and reduce the capital gains tax by investing proceeds in opportunity zone  funds -  talk to your broker.   there may be extreme risk.   your broker may not offer them.  

here's more info

https://eig.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Opportunity-Zones-Fact-Sheet.pdf

dmertz
Level 15

The gains will be includible in income no matter what you do with the gains.  What that does to your taxable income and the tax rate applied to a long-term capital gain depends on your overall taxable income.  Purchasing an annuity has no effect on that.  Even if you invest the capital gain in opportunity zone property, the gain will eventually be includible in income.

Was the stock in a personal account? It doesn't matter what you do with the proceeds from sales, it will be taxable income to you.  

If it was in a IRA you might be able to do a rollover.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies