turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rjsticinski@gmai
Returning Member

I sold a second home, not my primary residence, for a loss and received a 1099S form. I don't believe the 2020 version of TurboTax addresses this correctly.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

I sold a second home, not my primary residence, for a loss and received a 1099S form. I don't believe the 2020 version of TurboTax addresses this correctly.

Generally, property held for personal use is a capital asset. If you're referring to the loss on your personal second home, the loss from the sale or exchange of that property is not deductible.

• You can deduct a loss relating to personal-use property only if it results from a casualty or theft.

To enter that sale of an inherited second home in TurboTax Online: see Where do I enter the sale of a second home, an inherited home, or land on my 2020 taxes?

To enter sale of a second home if you're using the CD\Download version, click on TurboTax CD/Download.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rjsticinski@gmai
Returning Member

Hi HelenC12. Unfortunately, I do not believe your response answers my question.  I've checked both Schedule D and Form 8949 and the results show I have a capital loss.  In my case my loss on the sale of the second home is $46,000 so TurboTax treats that that total amount as a capital loss where $3,000 is applied in tax year 2020 and the remainder is carried over.   But I have read in many online postings that you cannot  take a loss on the sale of a home.  In this case this is a second home, not my primary residence, where I never rented it or used it for any business purpose.  The only way I can see to avoid the capital loss is to adjust Form 8949 so that the cost basis amount for the second home matches the sale price listed on my Form 1099S.  I know the cost basis exceeds the sale price on the home so I think TurboTax should be able to account for this rather than me gaming the numbers.  Please advise on what I should do? Thank you. Ron

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

@HelenC12 is correct.  Per the IRS 2020 Instructions for Schedule D (2020) | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov) under Capital Assets Held for Personal Use it states:

Loss from the sale or exchange of a capital asset held for personal use isn't deductible. But if you had a loss from the sale or exchange of real estate held for personal use for which you received a Form 1099-S, you must report the transaction on Form 8949 even though the loss isn't deductible.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rjsticinski@gmai
Returning Member

Hi JohnB5677,

So given that then I need to override TurboTax so it doesn't process the capital loss from the sale of the second home  Do you expect TurboTax to update their application to address this type of transaction? 

Ron

Hal_Al
Level 15

You missed the box where you identify it as personal use property.  Delete the sale from where ever you entered it. Enter instead as home sale.

In TurboTax (TT), enter at:
- Federal Taxes tab (Personal in  Home & Business)

- Wages & Income

Scroll down to:

-Less Common Income

- Sale of Home

I think TT does handle it properly.  If you enter it in the investment section (not in the sale of home section).  You indicate the sale was not reported on a 1099-B. TT asks the usual questions - date of sale, date of purchase, sales price, basis, etc.  You will come to a screen:

Select Any Less Common Adjustments That Apply.

Check the Box "Any loss from this sale is not deductible...", and the radio button "This is personal use property".

That should do it.

rjsticinski@gmai
Returning Member

Hi @Zbucklyo,

I tried your method and it worked perfectly with one exception. The dialogue says this is for the primary home. In this case this was the sale of a second home.  

Ron

Hal_Al
Level 15

It doesn't matter. All you are trying to do is exclude the capital loss. Mission accomplished.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies