turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid my taxes for this year and turbotax shows that i paid my taxes but now it shows me that i still owe money on taxes please help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I paid my taxes for this year and turbotax shows that i paid my taxes but now it shows me that i still owe money on taxes please help?

Ok ... first no income tax forms can be efiled right now ... it is too early for the 2020 returns and way too late for any prior tax year   so I don't know what you think you just filed.

Next, are you referring to the 2020 estimated payments ?  The 4th quarter payment is due 1/15/21 ... did you go online and pay it recently ?    If so as you complete the 2020 interview you will need to confirm the amount paid and when they were paid in the estimated payment section.  Until you complete this section the program doesn't know what you did or when you did it since the IRS/State do not notify the TT program of your payments.

Estimated payments  get entered in the Federal section of the program (even though it's for the state) and the program pulls the amounts into the state return.

You will see sections for federal, state, and local under the Estimated Taxes screen -

• Log into your account and click Take Me to My Return (you must click this first)
  • Use the search feature in the top right-hand corner of your screen (or search topics/bar if using desktop)
  • Search for "estimated tax payments" and click the "jump to" link.  
  • This will bring you right to the appropriate section to enter all of your estimated taxes paid

Or, you can also find the section by clicking on the following tabs:

• Federal Taxes
  • Deductions and Credits
  • You may have to click “Ill Choose what to work on” or "Show All" or "Check for More Credits" to get full list to appear
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid (you may need to scroll down all the way past your "common" tax breaks list that will appear in your summary)
  • Scroll down to Estimates
  • Enter your 2020 Paid Estimated Taxes 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

what year are you talking about. online is now for 2020 only and needs updates yet to come before you can file your return. the app as it is now is not accurate. 

Well then it has to be this years because I just filed it 10mins after I posted my question on here, that's why I'm confused, before I did this a few hours ago I had already gotten a letter in the mail like 2 months ago for 2020's IL state owed payment and so I paid it a few days later and after a week or so my turbotax account updated showing that I paid the full amount I owed.

But like I said in my first post after I filed my tax and tried to erase/start over using the tax tool option because I messed up on a few things my tax file, (witch I'm not sure if it worked) my turbotax account shows the same amount I still owed the IL state.

Ok ... first no income tax forms can be efiled right now ... it is too early for the 2020 returns and way too late for any prior tax year   so I don't know what you think you just filed.

Next, are you referring to the 2020 estimated payments ?  The 4th quarter payment is due 1/15/21 ... did you go online and pay it recently ?    If so as you complete the 2020 interview you will need to confirm the amount paid and when they were paid in the estimated payment section.  Until you complete this section the program doesn't know what you did or when you did it since the IRS/State do not notify the TT program of your payments.

Estimated payments  get entered in the Federal section of the program (even though it's for the state) and the program pulls the amounts into the state return.

You will see sections for federal, state, and local under the Estimated Taxes screen -

• Log into your account and click Take Me to My Return (you must click this first)
  • Use the search feature in the top right-hand corner of your screen (or search topics/bar if using desktop)
  • Search for "estimated tax payments" and click the "jump to" link.  
  • This will bring you right to the appropriate section to enter all of your estimated taxes paid

Or, you can also find the section by clicking on the following tabs:

• Federal Taxes
  • Deductions and Credits
  • You may have to click “Ill Choose what to work on” or "Show All" or "Check for More Credits" to get full list to appear
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid (you may need to scroll down all the way past your "common" tax breaks list that will appear in your summary)
  • Scroll down to Estimates
  • Enter your 2020 Paid Estimated Taxes 

thank you this helps me.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies