turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I only want to deduct a portion of my charitable contributions, giving me a carryover for next year. How do I do this?

I only want to deduct a portion of my charitable contributions, giving me a carryover for next year.  This will lower my tax bracket and save some of the deduction for next year. TTax is deducting all of the contribution since it's within IRS limits. How can I lower the amount deducted and create a carryover?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I only want to deduct a portion of my charitable contributions, giving me a carryover for next year. How do I do this?

You can only deduct contributions in the year made.  The carryover provision exists for when you have contributions are so large they exceed the deduction limits, but you must list all your 2020 contributions on your 2020 tax return and then see if you are eligible for a carryover or if you deduct them all at once.

You can't voluntarily deduct contributions in a different year than you made them. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You can carry over your contributions that you are not able to deduct in the current tax year because they exceed your adjusted-gross-income limit.   You have no carry over if you have not exceeded that limit. 

If your donations are within the 2020 limits based on your 2020 AGI, you cannot carry the charitable donations over to next year.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You can only deduct contributions in the year made.  The carryover provision exists for when you have contributions are so large they exceed the deduction limits, but you must list all your 2020 contributions on your 2020 tax return and then see if you are eligible for a carryover or if you deduct them all at once.

You can't voluntarily deduct contributions in a different year than you made them. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies