turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to claim milaeage for myself and husband, with 2 different cars for 2 different jobs. Mine is tracked in qb self employed but what us the best way to add his?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

I need to claim milaeage for myself and husband, with 2 different cars for 2 different jobs. Mine is tracked in qb self employed but what us the best way to add his?

You can report his mileage under employee business expenses in Turbo Tax but these expenses are no longer deductible on your federal income tax return but may be deductible in your state return as a handful of states still allow this deduction if you are able to itemize your deductions.To enter:

1. Go to federal>deductions and credits
  2. Employment Expenses>show more

3. Job Expenses for W-2 Income

4. Answer the questions as they appear. You will eventually arrive at the screen where you enter your vehicle expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JohnB5677
Employee Tax Expert

That is not a problem.  Post your business and mileage using your Quickbooks entries. 

Then do your husband's business using the same vehicles and the same total recorded mile.  Then calculate based on his records (Using his appointment calendar and Mapquest) to determine distances and total mileage.

I already have my mileage transferred into TurboTax BMI QuickBooks. I'm confused as to where I would claim my husband's mileage or try to deduct it. Like where exactly in QuickBooks or how do I do it? I have his mileage as well already calculated and everything.

DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

Are you and your husband self-employed or are you both employees?

Hi,

I am self employed and husband is employed through a business.  He traveled last yr for said job and received no mileage reimbursement or gas reimbursement of any kind. 

Thx

DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

You can report his mileage under employee business expenses in Turbo Tax but these expenses are no longer deductible on your federal income tax return but may be deductible in your state return as a handful of states still allow this deduction if you are able to itemize your deductions.To enter:

1. Go to federal>deductions and credits
  2. Employment Expenses>show more

3. Job Expenses for W-2 Income

4. Answer the questions as they appear. You will eventually arrive at the screen where you enter your vehicle expenses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies