Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I made excess IRA contribution due to zero earned income. Can I apply foreign earned income exclusion in part and foreign tax credits in part to my foreign earned wages?

I want to know if I can apply foreign tax credits to a portion (the same amount as the the excess IRA contribution) of my foreign earned wages while applying foreign earned income exclusion to the remaining foreign earned wages.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

I made excess IRA contribution due to zero earned income. Can I apply foreign earned income exclusion in part and foreign tax credits in part to my foreign earned wages?

Yes, you can apply the foreign exclusion to only part of your wages.  To have earned income to qualify to put money into an IRA, you must add back the excluded amounts in determining your compensation for purposes of the IRA limits.  Likewise, for purposes of determining the IRA limits, do not reduce your compensation by any foreign housing deductions.

Individual Retirement Accounts

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can apply the foreign exclusion to only part of your wages.  To have earned income to qualify to put money into an IRA, you must add back the excluded amounts in determining your compensation for purposes of the IRA limits.  Likewise, for purposes of determining the IRA limits, do not reduce your compensation by any foreign housing deductions.

Individual Retirement Accounts

Thanks.

One more question.  If I apply foreign earned income exclusion just partly (even if I could apply it to full amount of my earned income), will I be barred from applying foreign earned income exclusion next year? 

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

You should be fine.  There is no rule that you must exclude all of your foreign income.

I do you actually do this in TT?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies