turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tjaunt23

I live in VA, but I own a plot of land in WI in which I pay real estate taxes. Should the refund come from WI? It is increasing my VA Refund, but this seems wrong.

The property is not rented and was not sold, so I know I am entitled to a refund, but want to ensure it comes from the correct state.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

I live in VA, but I own a plot of land in WI in which I pay real estate taxes. Should the refund come from WI? It is increasing my VA Refund, but this seems wrong.

Unless you have income from Wisconsin or sold the property, you do not need to file a Wisconsin tax return.  Since you're not paying Wisconsin income tax, you won't get a WI income tax refund.  The property tax is deductible for federal tax purposes, and that will carry over to your Virginia tax return and reduce your VA tax.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

Unless you have income from Wisconsin or sold the property, you do not need to file a Wisconsin tax return.  Since you're not paying Wisconsin income tax, you won't get a WI income tax refund.  The property tax is deductible for federal tax purposes, and that will carry over to your Virginia tax return and reduce your VA tax.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tjaunt23

Thank you so much! Appreciate such a quick response! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies