turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

veromagos

I listed my daughter as a dependent but she also filed her return she is 20 now, I did not the child credit for her, would she get the stimulus check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I listed my daughter as a dependent but she also filed her return she is 20 now, I did not the child credit for her, would she get the stimulus check?

dependents over the age of 16 are not eligible for stimulus rebates, so she should not receive it,

if she is really not your dependent (you didn't describe whether she is in school, living you with, her income, etc) suggest amending 2019; that will set her up to receive the stimulus.  Why did you list her as a dependent? 

She can be a dependent on your return and file her own return - that occurs with high school students and college students all the time 

veromagos

She lives with me and she is is working a full time job right now (so she is not my dependent now) last year she was in school pretty much half of the year and half of the year she worked and supported her self and paid her bills , she did file her own taxes too, I listed her as my dependent because I’m always afraid of not doing the right thing and I thought that was the “legal” thing to do, please help because right now she could use that money to pay bills

@veromagos - this is probably the easiest thing to do, but it will not resolve itself until next year.  from what you state she will not be your dependent in 2020 tax year.  sounds like she was your dependent in 2019, which is fine.

• The stimulus payments are really based on her 2020 tax return (income, dependents, etc).
  • The IRS is using either 2018 or 2019 – whatever is available  - to ESTIMATE that payment
  • When she files next year there will be a “settle up” section on the tax return. 
  • If she is due more stimulus (and this would include where she simply never received it), she will receive it through the 2020 tax filing. 

alternatively, you can amend (if you believe she did not meet the criteria in 2019 to be your dependent) but that is a 16 week wait at a minimum and there is no guidance that the IRS will send out stimulus immediately after a amended return is filed.  They may just say "put it on your 2020 tax return" but we just don't know currently. 

Carl
Level 15

@NCperson I've done a cursory look on the IRS website (it seems to change daily, if not hourly) and can't seem to find any updated information reflecting the "settle up" thing you mention. Do you par chance have a direct link, (that still works!)?

@Carl - look at how the CARES ACT is worded and then the article i posted further below.  

SEC. 6428.  2020 RECOVERY REBATES FOR INDIVIDUALS.

(a) IN GENERAL.—In the case of an eligible individual, there shall be allowed as a credit against the tax
imposed by subtitle A for the first taxable year beginning in 2020 an amount equal to the sum of—
(1) $1,200 ($2,400 in the case of eligible individuals filing a joint return), plus
(2) an amount equal to the product of $500 multiplied by the number of qualifying children(within the meaning of section 24(c)) of the tax payer.

the CARES ACT NEVER talks about 2018/ 2019!!!

https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/will-we-have-to-pay-back-stimulus-check-2020-4

Since everything is really based on 2020 and 2018/ 2019 was just used as an  estimate and there is no requirement to return excess money, I'll mean that if someone died in 2019 and their estate received the stimulus, there is no obligation to return it.  if the stimulus payment  was based on someone's 2018 tax return and they had a child in 2019 OR 2020, they will work itself out on the 2020 tax return.  if your income was high in 2018/2019 and you were not eligible for the stimulus. but in 2020 you were unemployed and your income was low, you;d get that stimulus money as part of the 2020 return.  if you were a student / dependent of your parents in 2018 /2019 but not 2020, you'd get the $1200 as part of your 2020 tax filing... etc.

look at these  FAQ's .. then look questions  16-19 and the answers ....it'll align with what I am stating

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies