turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

null573

I just filed my 2020 tax and notice I'm only getting child tax credit for my 9 year old and not for my 11 year old. I thought children who are under 17 qualify.

The box was ONLY checked off for my 9 year old.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

I just filed my 2020 tax and notice I'm only getting child tax credit for my 9 year old and not for my 11 year old. I thought children who are under 17 qualify.

You can amend your 2020 return to check that other box then the child will qualify.

Please see the TurboTax Help article How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed for instruction on how to amend your previously-filed tax return.

When you file a Form 1040-X, it becomes your new tax return for the tax year in which you file it.  It changes the original return to include your new information.

Go into My Info section and click on that dependents name and run through the questions again.  Make sure the age is correct and that the box is checked.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Was that child being claimed by the custodial parent ?  Did they live with you less than 7 months?  

When the IRS fully processes your original return  AND  the amendment process has opened later this month you can amend the return to capture that credit  IF  you have  to make the correction.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies