turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have deductible legal expenses from a work discrimination lawsuit. I know these expenses are deductible, but can someone tell me where to enter them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

I have deductible legal expenses from a work discrimination lawsuit. I know these expenses are deductible, but can someone tell me where to enter them?

You can enter that as a negative adjustment to income by using the following tabs in the online version of TurboTax:

1. Federal
  2. Income and expenses
  3. Less common income
  4. Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  5. Other reportable income

Enter a description of the adjustment and the amount as a negative number.

You can do also enter it as an adjustment to income in the desktop version of TurboTax by accessing the Other Adjustments to Income Smart Worksheet (use letter option H) you can find next to line 22 on Schedule 1, Part II.

[Edit 2/1/21 2:32 PM PST]

@crdodgeman

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Expenses for unemployment discrimination lawsuits are deducted on schedule 1, not as a negative adjustment to income.  Also, the expenses are only deductible against judgment income. If you did not win your judgment and have no judgment income, the expenses are not deductible.

See this answer for how to enter the expenses on schedule 1.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/above-the-line-deductions-for-legal-fees/00/12101...

Manage cookies