turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chris70

I have a son that was with me the entire year, is 11 years old, and is considered my dependent yet the program is telling me that he does not qualify for the child tax credit. When I click

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I have a son that was with me the entire year, is 11 years old, and is considered my dependent yet the program is telling me that he does not qualify for the child tax credit. When I click

Have you entered the income you earned from working yet?  Did you enter his Social Security number?  Say he lived with you all year?  Your child tax credit will not show up on your tax return until you enter your earned income, and then it will be based on how much you earned.  If you earned less than $2500 you do not receive any CTC.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
chris70

Yes, my W2 was automatically imported from my payroll provider and his information was imported from last year.

Do not assume that the W-2 that you think was "automatically imported" is your W-2 for 2019.  If  YOU did not take some steps to make that import happen, it is a "place holder" left from 2018.  Delete that and import or key in your 2019 W-2.

And...sometimes it also helps to delete the dependent and re-enter the child,

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
chris70

Deleting him and reentering seems to have solved it...whew!!! Was nervous there!

Manage cookies